AVIC411.com

Z1 says I have fastest Lincoln in the world!!

It really does! But here's the reason and I thought I would share it with you.

We traded my wife's Aviator off on a new MDX. I pulled the Z1 before trading it and installed it this weekend in my son's 01 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. What a bitch to install. This vehicle is multiplexed (CAN bus) and a some of the connections you need aren't available in the normal fashion. Plus the factory wiring diagrams absolutely suck. Had to go to an 02 diagram. But I regress...

After getting it all installed, I jump in the car and go for a drive to check it out. Man, I'm telling you...this thing has me covering miles of real estate in a very short time. Seriously, I figure about 250 mph or so! The Z1 tries to momentarily bring me back to where I actually am, but flashes right back to the wrong place at a high rate of speed. Then it dawned on me. The VSS signal in my Aviator must have been a much slower signal than the one I'm using on the LS. The LS doesn't have a VSS signal per say, but rather several speed signals in the transmission it uses for diagnostics and it uses these and puts one of them on the CAN bus for vehicle speed. You MUST capture the output shaft signal prior to the ECM for use. That signal must be much faster than the one generated in the Aviator. This gave the Z1 fits. I finally just did a hard reset and cleared everything back to factory fresh. That cured it.

So just a heads up...if you switch vehicles with your Z1, be sure to reset all the vehicle dynamics.

By the way, does anyone know where I can capture the reverse signal off this car? You can't get it at the reverse lights. It's multiplexed.