AVIC411.com

Z2...Now Z3..Bypass Problem

I screwed uo and posted this in the MOD/HACK section...sorry//I'm a newbie..so here we go again...I have a AVIC Z2, which I have had for a couple of years. Installed in my Ford F-150, it worked perfectly for 2 years with the park brake bypass wire. I now had the unit put in a Lincoln Marquis. It was installed by a install shop, with the park brake wire bypass.It played fine for twenty minutes and then no video. When I go about 15-20 MPH, the video goes out, the audio stays on.I took it back to see if the wire came loose, but it was secure. OK..I now update my unit with 2010 maps(Z3, and it worked for a couple of hours and then back to the video going out again.I was told by the install shop that this unit has a gyro...and because the unit sits facing a little upwards(because the shape of the dash)instead of facing flat...that the gyro is off and any small amount of movement will shut the video off. Is this true? is there any others having the same problem? is there another fix for my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Your shop is only half correct about the gyro. A weird install angle can affect the unit, but only the nav portion. Movement doesn't shut the video off, the parking brake does. The bypass is performed by grounding the parking brake wire (instead of tapping the brake itself) and the mute wire. If either of these two wires are grounded incorrectly (if at all), you will get the same issues you're having right now.

This means, it sounds like your shop screwed up the bypass, doesn't know wtf they are doing, and don't want to tell you about it.

The fix for your problem is to simply get the bypass done correctly, or do it yourself. The hardest part about it is taking your dash apart.