AVIC411.com

Affordable Automatic Reverse Camera for my F90

hey guys, so i got my xm tuner for christmas, and now im looking at putting in a reverse camera, id like one that turns on automatically when the car is put into reverse. However, the one pioneers advertise are pretty costly. Anyone know of any good reverse cameras that work with the avic f90bt that have this feature. Im looking to put it on my 2007 mustang, so if you have any specific ideas thatd be great. And by automatically turning on when the car is put in reverse, that would mean the screen would display the camera automatically without having to touch any buttons on the screen right? And turn back to the music screen or map as soon as the cars taken out of reverse? thanks!

Well thats the way all back cams work but most owners of the F series see about a 6-9 second delay before the camera turns on when in reverse. By that time your already in drive and moving forward. You got the wrong unit if you want instant on backup cam. Good luck to you however.

If you want a good cam you need to look into a CCD camera over a CMOS camera. Most of the cheap cams on eBay are CMOS and don't tend to last very long. Look into the BOYO cams.

ok so maybe its just my novice knowledge of the whole wiring. but how does the avic f90bt know when im in reverse? if i wire it to run 24/7 (cz i know theres a button somwhere in the menus to see "Reverse Camera") then i can click that button and see it whenever, but then will the head unit still switch to it when i put my car in reverse? Sorry for the lack of knowledge of this subject.. i thought the head unit only knew when i was in park and Drive..

ok so maybe its just my novice knowledge of the whole wiring. but how does the avic f90bt know when im in reverse? if i wire it to run 24/7 (cz i know theres a button somwhere in the menus to see "Reverse Camera") then i can click that button and see it whenever, but then will the head unit still switch to it when i put my car in reverse? Sorry for the lack of knowledge of this subject.. i thought the head unit only knew when i was in park and Drive..

You have to tap the power into the reverse lights. These are the clear ones in your tail lights that come on when the car is put in reverse. When they power up, they activate the rear camera on your head unit and Voila! Hope this helps!

You have to tap the power into the reverse lights. These are the clear ones in your tail lights that come on when the car is put in reverse. When they power up, they activate the rear camera on your head unit and Voila! Hope this helps!

This is not the advice to follow if you want rear view as well as reverse view.

^ not to mention that more and more newer cars are starting to have low current lights (LED) and if the camera draws too much power, then it will over load the light circuit and blow fuses. thats hwy its always best to provide ACC power to the camera and reverse signal to the avic, then it can work at any time just like intended.

Some of the newer vehicles with can-bus connections know when it's in reverse automatically. My Jeep does not have power to back-up lights, it has full time power and it works perfectly. Instant on, instant off.

actually the light on newer vehicles are switching over to negitive trigger systems, there is always 12v+ at the light bulb, and the cars computer switches the ground on and off to control the light bulb. you could still hook up a backup camera up to the lights if you really wanted to, and it would work fine*, just instead of the positive wire getting turned on and off it would be the negitive wire, and the camera would funtion the same (*power requirements of the camera would still need to be a concern, the camera would work this way but the circuit may not support much extra power) this is why there is the "power" or "ground" setting in the camera menu. a light bulb can not read the signals alone from the CAN-bus but the module that controls the lights do, lightbulbs are simple devices, they only need power coming in and power going out (excluding bulbs with multiple lighting elements of course which have either two power inputs and one ground or the other way around)