AVIC411.com

z110 upgraded to z120 vr issue??

im having an issue where if i am running just my nav...no problem

if i am running just my ipod...no problem

but if the 2 are both going the unit will never get to the point where the vr gets totally loaded and the unit continually reboots.

when the reboot is complete they both pick up where they left off

im having an issue where if i am running just my nav...no problem

but if the 2 are both going the unit will never get to the point where the vr gets totally loaded and the unit continually reboots.

when the reboot is complete they both pick up where they left off

The subject line of your post is confusing. Did you mean to imply that you didn't have this problem before the Z120 upgrade?

Make sure your ipod is running the latest OS firmware. After that, do a full restore/refresh from itunes.

Six months ago I was having VR cataloging issues. I updated the ipod OS, now everything is fine. Instead of 20 min to update the VR, it only takes 20-30 seconds. That's with about 3500 songs.

BTW, which iPod do you have?

Hiya RonS

i actually did have an issue with the unit randomly rebooting while it was operating as a z110. i sent the unit back for repairs, when it was returned i was never told wut the issue was. honestly at that time i only noticed that the set was randomly rebooting itself, i had not put together wut was happening as far as the VR and the ipod was concerned. now the warranty is up. i am runnning an ipod classic 80g, it has to have about 10,000 songs on it.

post-37056-0-64649900-1294760288_thumb.jpg

if i am running just my nav...no problem

but if the 2 are both going the unit will never get to the point where the vr gets totally loaded

Hiya RonS

i actually did have an issue with the unit randomly rebooting while it was operating as a z110. i sent the unit back for repairs, when it was returned i was never told wut the issue was. honestly at that time i only noticed that the set was randomly rebooting itself, i had not put together wut was happening as far as the VR and the ipod was concerned. now the warranty is up. i am runnning an ipod classic 80g, it has to have about 10,000 songs on it.

I see. One other point of clarification: NAV is always running when the unit is on, so in your original post, did you mean that if you were on the NAV screen and not playing your ipod it was OK, AND if you were on the ipod screen you were OK, BUT if you were playing your iPod while on the NAV screen it would reboot?

OR - are you saying that it would reboot after pressing OK (the pledge screen)? That screen prevents VR cataloging.

Regardless, it sounds like VR cataloging is the culprit. Try turning it off in the Settings menu (see the manual). If it no longer reboots, it must be corrupted catalog info. Try restoring your ipod, then turn on VR in the AVIC settings and see if that fixes it.

hiya ronS

i will try your advice and deactivate the VR and restore/reset the ipod. as for the clarification to your question, to avoid going into NAV mode and having the VR attempt to load, i simply press the MODE button when the OK screen comes up & play my ipod without the VR to keep the unit from rebooting. if i need to get someplace i'll press the OK screen button & use the NAV & leave the ipod off. this is just to avoid the problem but i would like for it to work properly.

to ronS & VBLUE:

to this point i have taken ronS's advice and deactivated the VR cataloging & i have not yet experienced the unit shutting off and rebooting itself as normal during that process (thanks ronS). both the ipod and nav are running simultaneously and i have not had an issue. everyone seems to post a ruff estimate of how many songs thay have on their ipod, mine is past the 10,000 mark, might this be too many for the unit to catalog, is there a limit? p.s. to ron S...i have not yet reset/restarted the ipod as i am having my computer which has itunes installed repaired.

to ronS & VBLUE:

to this point i have taken ronS's advice and deactivated the VR cataloging & i have not yet experienced the unit shutting off and rebooting itself as normal during that process (thanks ronS). both the ipod and nav are running simultaneously and i have not had an issue. everyone seems to post a ruff estimate of how many songs thay have on their ipod, mine is past the 10,000 mark, might this be too many for the unit to catalog, is there a limit? p.s. to ron S...i have not yet reset/restarted the ipod as i am having my computer which has itunes installed repaired.

I was wondering what happens if it runs out of memory while indexing. There has to be some physical limit. 10,000 is a lot of songs. When I first got my 64GB ipod Touch, I loaded it up with all my songs. But I soon realized that so many albums and artists made the user interface difficult to use. So I cut it down a lot. I don't think I every loaded 10000, more like 5000.

So, when you get your computer back, you can try a smaller number and gradually increase. Believe me, you won't miss those 5000 songs.

BTW, I was looking at mine on the way to work the AM. I thought there was a way to force a catalog rebuild from scratch, but I couldn't figure out. The VR Catalog off and on buttons worked, but it didn't seem to reset and rebuild from scratch. The manual is a little fuzzy on how this works.

ok maybe i can find some information on that.

if not im pretty sure i wont miss the songs either. i usually only use my playlists anyway.

hey, u know anything of this firmware update 2.003, can find it on pioneer website but i hear its supposed to take care of the BT 'OK' button connection issue.

ok maybe i can find some information on that.

if not im pretty sure i wont miss the songs either. i usually only use my playlists anyway.

hey, u know anything of this firmware update 2.003, can find it on pioneer website but i hear its supposed to take care of the BT 'OK' button connection issue.

Ya, it fixed a few bugs, but nothing major that I could see. The "OK" annoyance is still there. Here is the update. Mods, sorry if this breaks any rules. If so, feel free to delete the files. I figured since it was freely available from their site, it was fair use.

BTW, I had to re-zip the files cause I deleted the original archive after unpacking. Also, they (Pioneer) named it AVICZ110 even though it is only for Z120s, which seemed odd.

AVICZ110.zip

Instructions for AVIC-Z120BT 2.003000.pdf

thanks!

i actually called up pioneer on the reboot issue and told them the problem went away once i deactivated the VR cataloging.

i asked if the amout of songs i had (10,000+) was too much. he said no and that the units should be capable to VR catalog 160g ipod classics.

where can i find more info on the force cataloging abilities u brought up?

thanks!

i actually called up pioneer on the reboot issue and told them the problem went away once i deactivated the VR cataloging.

i asked if the amout of songs i had (10,000+) was too much. he said no and that the units should be capable to VR catalog 160g ipod classics.

where can i find more info on the force cataloging abilities u brought up?

I only see "Pause" and "Restart". (Z120 manual p 171). So I guess I was wrong. If you update your ipod, I'm pretty sure it starts from scratch (takes much longer).

As far as the reboot, I wonder if there is some wierd/corrupted MP3 tags in your iPod songs. That may cause the AVIC to barf when it hits that sing. I still think you should:

1. update the ipod firmware if possible

2. refresh (initialize) the ipod

3. and try loading more selectively

I used to have an MP3 utility that fixed-up the tags, but I can't remember what it was.

I only see "Pause" and "Restart". (Z120 manual p 171). So I guess I was wrong. If you update your ipod, I'm pretty sure it starts from scratch (takes much longer).

As far as the reboot, I wonder if there is some wierd/corrupted MP3 tags in your iPod songs.

One more thing I thought of..... It would be interesting if you took your ipod into a Pioneer dealer's store and asked if you could test their Z120 with your ipod. You don't even have to explain the full story, just say you want to try it out. I bet it blows that one up too. If so, its something with your songs. Likely the tags.