AVIC411.com

AVH-P4000DVD $160.00 Good Deal I think...

Hey All, I recently picked up a AVH-P4000DVD Head deck for a sweet price of $160.00. I've done a considerable amount of reading on this and the others in this family of decks. I've Installed it in my 2006 F-550 6.0 Power Stroke XLT Super Duty utilizing Tips and Suggestions provided by members of various Forums. I've done the Parking Break Relay Override and all is good with playing DvD's on the go and all other functions of the unit work flawlessly except for the back up camera (which is the whole purpose of doing this head deck swap) which I for the life of me cannot seem to get up and running. I'm not a electronics whiz by any stretch of the imagination BUT do possess a fairly good working knowledge of and desire to learns myself above the "I Know Just Enough To Be Dangerous" Level of Know's.

My issue is after hooking up the rear view cam everything seems to be working but the screen of the Head Deck is black but does have what appears to be interference lines Diagonally across the screen but regardless of the settings I try nor switching around ALL the wires for the cam, All One of them unless you count the RCA Video Lead which would bring the Grand total of wires to a whopping TWO.

Here is the connections I have at the moment, maybe one of the Gurus here on the site could enlighten me as to WHAT I Am so Obviously Over Looking or just plain and simply have screwed up.

I have connected the Violet/White Wire (the one With the factory inline Fuse Resistor) that comes out of the head units wiring harness connected to the rear back up light wire that energizes to 12vdc when the truck is put into reverse. The RCA Lead is Run from the BROWN RCA Connector of the head deck to the Yellow RCA Connector of the Rear View Camera. I've read and re read the User/Install Manual Left to Right Right to Left Upside Down Right Side Up (Well you get the picture) but feel although a valiant effort has been put forth that I am missing something very trivial that is keeping the cam from functioning correctly. The one concern I have is the manual has no reference to or even mentions for that matter the purple/gray wire that is located in the area just below the RCA outputs on the rear of the Deck. Initially I thought this wire was the wire they refer to as Violet/White but when I took note that this wire had no resistor/fuse inline I dismissed that idea, perhaps wrongly but that is why I is here ladies.......for help!! Doe's the Violet/Gray wire play a role in the reverse cam? If so where does it get connected? Any Settings I may have missed during setup?

Any Help is Greatly appreciated by me and will surly put a smile on the Grand daughter's face when I get the Back up Cam bugs worked out and she can finally watch one of her videos while out and about with her papa in her "Papa's Big White Work Truck".

thanks guys

Les

Well you missed something big alright. And that is you don't have the power and ground wires from the camera hooked up to anything, at least by your description anyway. Connect the ground wire from the camera to a ground and the power wire from the camera to the red wire from the head unit and you should be good to go.

My Bad, I did leave that little tid bit out of my sleep depraved ramblings didn't I....I actually did have them wires hooked up from the camera Red wire from camera to switched 12vdc hot wire from truck and the black wire from camera to ground point on truck. I apologize for that, I do suppose that would be as you put it a "Missing Something Big" lol......So Problem still exists and still wondering about that purple and black wire that comes out of the back of the unit near the RCA Jacks.

thanks again,

Les

I believe what you did is wrong. The wire that is coming out below the RCA's is the purple/white that you want to use. The one out of the wiring harness... are you sure it's not purple/black and is used for the RR- speaker? I looked at both the installation manual and this picture.

avhp4000dvd.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I initially had a camera that was DOA, sent it back received the new. After Verifying the replacement cam was in working condition I mounted it to the rear of my F-550. This is how it is wired into my trucks electrical system and it STILL DOES NOT WORK!!!

Violet/White Wire leading from the back of the Head Deck (area of the RCA Jacks near the RCA Jack for the Rear view Signal connection, separate from the main wire harness) I have ran to the Backup Light Circuit of the truck which is +12VDC when the Truck is placed in Reverse.

I have an RCA Interface Cable ran from the rear of the Head Deck (Brown RCA Plug) back to the Rear View Camera's RCA Input.

I have the Camera's Positive lead ran to an Ignition Switched +12VDC circuit and the Camera's Negative lead is ran to a known good ground on the vehicle.

I have the settings for the Rear View Camera set to Vehicles Battery.

What am I missing? Is everything connected and programmed correctly? I obviously am missing something, I tested the camera and all is good so if it IS connected correctly than I must have an issue with the deck itself which would really suck and bring my $160.00 Good deal into Not Such a good Deal category since the deck and cam were purchased specifically for the rear view function.

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Les

• 1 year later...

So I initially had a camera that was DOA, sent it back received the new. After Verifying the replacement cam was in working condition I mounted it to the rear of my F-550. This is how it is wired into my trucks electrical system and it STILL DOES NOT WORK!!!

Violet/White Wire leading from the back of the Head Deck (area of the RCA Jacks near the RCA Jack for the Rear view Signal connection, separate from the main wire harness) I have ran to the Backup Light Circuit of the truck which is +12VDC when the Truck is placed in Reverse.

I have an RCA Interface Cable ran from the rear of the Head Deck (Brown RCA Plug) back to the Rear View Camera's RCA Input.

I have the Camera's Positive lead ran to an Ignition Switched +12VDC circuit and the Camera's Negative lead is ran to a known good ground on the vehicle.

I have the settings for the Rear View Camera set to Vehicles Battery.

What am I missing? Is everything connected and programmed correctly? I obviously am missing something, I tested the camera and all is good so if it IS connected correctly than I must have an issue with the deck itself which would really suck and bring my $160.00 Good deal into Not Such a good Deal category since the deck and cam were purchased specifically for the rear view function.

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Les

is the backup camera setting set to on? i know it may be a redundant question but lets cover your basics after the explanation of wiring.

also if it is what is the polarity set to? should be positive