AVIC411.com

ipod "directory updating....please wait"

Hi...im new...Just got my Avic 120bt yesterday. LOVE IT so far except the shop that installed it cant figue out how to wire in my backup camera to work with the unit.

So, my question. I usually take my ipod (16g touch) with me when i get out of my truck but when i go to replug it in when i get back in, it goes through this whole process of "directory updating...please wait" i can listen to my ipod although cant change playlist. I rode around for about an hour before it "updaed" and i can use it like normal. Will it do this every time i uplug my ipod? I hate to keep it plugged in all the time. I like to bring it in the house to play music. Thanks for any help.

Hi...im new...Just got my Avic 120bt yesterday. LOVE IT so far except the shop that installed it cant figue out how to wire in my backup camera to work with the unit.

So, my question. I usually take my ipod (16g touch) with me when i get out of my truck but when i go to replug it in when i get back in, it goes through this whole process of "directory updating...please wait" i can listen to my ipod although cant change playlist. I rode around for about an hour before it "updaed" and i can use it like normal. Will it do this every time i uplug my ipod? I hate to keep it plugged in all the time. I like to bring it in the house to play music. Thanks for any help.

I have a 64GB iTouch. I had a similar problem when I first installed the Z110. Seemed to take 15-20 minutes to catalog about 2500 songs. Even after the initial catalog, it took several minutes each time I started up. Like Jason said, I turned off VR cataloging and that made it tolerable. For some reason, my unit sometimes resets/looses the VR catalog. The unit acts stupid and cant locate any song/artist/album. So when that happened, I had to turn VR back on - so it would rebuild the catalog (15-20 min).

Somewhere around the time that I upgraded the software to Z120, I also updated the iPod OS through iTunes. After that, I noticed that the VR cataloging went much faster - a couple minutes for a full rebuild, and just a few seconds after a restart. I'm not sure which fixed it. Or maybe it was just the rebuild of the ipod after the flash update. But Inow I can leave VR cataloging turned ON without worry.

So, you might want to check that your ipod software and OS is up-to-date. BTW, I leave my ipod connected. Only remove when I need to update the songs - not that often since my favs are decades old. So I'm not sure what it would do if I was always unpluging it.

Oh, another thing that helps - I don't put my entire MP3 collection on the ipod. It makes no sense to load it up and have to search through 100's of albums thru the scroll wheel. Now I have several playlists with 500 or so songs. That, and maybe a dozen complete albums, is all I ever need. So, I'm, only using about 10GB out of the 64. I'll probably put a bunch of videos on it some day.