AVIC411.com

Hooking up a z110bt with a 12v car battery charger?

Hi guys,

just want to know if i can connect my z110bt to a car battery charger? i want to test it out, configure it, and hack and modd it if possible before i install it in the car. i ordered it, but can't install it right now because of the snow and i don't have a garage. so can i test it out like that, just connect the (+) and (-) wire to car bettery charger thats plugged in my wall outlet at home, or is there something special i need to do to get it to work? please help thanks

also, is there a specific car battery charger that you guys use? cuz im confuse about the trickle charger (i know it suppose to keep the battery life longer but dont know if the current is the same) and if i can use that?

Thanks, I have and extra PC power supply laying around. so just have to somehow find a way to tap into and use that? i'll give it a try, thanks

A trickle charger would work, or you could remove the battery from your car. I had an extra battery 12v in the garage, so it was easy.

Many modern PC power supplies require mother-board circuitry before they power-up, so beware. I guess you could make an adapter to run off your PC using an unused HD power harness. Make sure you get the correct voltage. I think it provides both +5 and +12. BTW, The Z110/120 spec says 10.8V - 15.1V DC. It can draw up to 10.0 AMPs (which could be a problem with using the HD harness on a PC power supply.

I know it sounds like a pain, but pulling the battery out of your car may be the best and safest solution. Even then, you will need some alligator clips. In any case, avoid stray wires that could short.

So i got it to turn on but i cant cant seem to click the system settings to find out what firmware it has. I went ahead and did the steps for updating the firmware but i got stuck on the password. I cant click any letters. Do i need to install it to do all the updating? Even the bluetooth setting i cant click. Any suggestions?

So i got it to turn on but i cant cant seem to click the system settings to find out what firmware it has. I went ahead and did the steps for updating the firmware but i got stuck on the password. I cant click any letters. Do i need to install it to do all the updating? Even the bluetooth setting i cant click. Any suggestions?

Did you install the bypass? I'm not sure it matters, but it might. The Parking Brake lockout prevents a lot of user-interface type things. If you attempted the bypass, try playing a DVD. If it will not play ( I don't know what the message is since I bypassed from day-1), then either you did it wrong, or the pin isn't eated far enough in the plug socket..

BTW, you say you can't enter any letters. Do you mean you CAN enter numbers? Or you don't even get the keyboard on screen?

The unit is out of the car so i did not even plug the harness with parking break in it but i think the previous oewner did the bypass cus the cord was right next to the other wires not alone on the corner. Also i see the keyboard and everything but whenever i press letters it seems like the whole screen is frozen but i can hit the back button and it responded. thats the only button that works the rest of the screen does not respond. As far as the nav, it works i can go to POI fine and it routes it. so i'll try it with the green wire and mute wire grounded( hooked up to the (-) in the battery charger... Is that safe for the unit?) Did not try the dvd

though so i'll try that but i dont know whats going on with the update why its freezing up on the password step.

so i'll try it with the green wire and mute wire grounded( hooked up to the (-) in the battery charger... Is that safe for the unit?) Did not try the dvd

though so i'll try that but i dont know whats going on with the update why its freezing up on the password step.

That should work.

I wouldn't bother with the update for now. You verified that the unit works. The more you mess with it, the more chance something can go wrong. If you accidently disconnect a wire or you loose power during the upgrade, you could brick the unit. It is safer in the car with it permanently installed and a fully charged battery.

Are you sure it hasn't been upgraded already?

• 3 weeks later...

alright i got the avic installed in the car. everything is fine and working right. the problem is i check the firmware version. it is 1.0000 or something like that. its not updated. well i try to update it and followed the sticky. when i put the first SD card in, nothing happened. I though it was supposed to do it automatically. formatted the SD to FAT32, put the AVICZ110(cracked version) folder to root nothing happen. tried putting the content of the AVICZ110 to the root, nothing happen. so im stuck on the first step. dont know what I did wrong. its like the HU is not reading the SD card. but if i put music on the SD card it works and reads it.... so any idea?? kinda stuck here. thanks