AVIC411.com

How to Auto-Run a Program on Boot-up?

Hi all,

I'd like to get some help to figure out the best way to automatically run a program on start-up, so the Navi system runs as usual but this additional program would also be running. I'm planning on installing a WinCE Datalogging program (EvoScan PPC) for my car that I want to run on my AVIC (x710BT) every time I start the car.

Ideally, I'd like to have the following options each time the system boots (but the option 1 would be good enough):

1.) Auto-Run in background on startup

2.) Have this program get (and keep) focus on startup as the NAVI system runs in background

- starting with focus after the navi system finishes booting would be ok

3.) Option to not run the program at all (ie; when on acc, not starting my car)

I've tried adding a program to the registry under: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init] "Launchxx"=xxx

This works just fine to run the program (at least in the background), but when I reboot the reg file gets reset! So, I need some way to either make this change persistent or use some other method.

Of course, I'll also need a way to activate this program from the navi system - but will work on that after I get a program to run on startup.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance for your help!

BTW, I have searched here and found leetlauncher and also a script for autostart (http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/30167-startup-scripts/page__p__222958__hl__autorun__fromsearch__1#entry222958)...

But both of these do much more than I need, I think they are extreme overkill to just auto-run a program along with the main NAVI system. I just want to add a program to the startup process, not rewrite so much of the system, so hopefully there is a much more simple solution.

I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I thought it'd be useful to post this info...

You need to use the start application command and put it in the st_start script in start.ui. That will run it each time the unit starts.

Like this:

run 'START_APPLICATION "\My Flash Disk\System\autorun.exe" ""'

I got the above answer from Diaftia, this will auto-run any program on startup (just replace 'autorun.exe' with any program and full path). The program will run but may be hidden in the background (depending on the program and where the AVIC boots to). This is ok for me (running a datalogger), I just added a button on the map (in place of 'my speed' sign) so I can pull up the program when I want to see it. This is easy to do once you know the commands and locations for everything.

Here are the details for anyone who wants to do this...

All the files referenced below (except for ResInfo.exe) are in Data.zip here:

\My Flash Disk\APL2\iGo\Data.zip

AUTO-START COMMAND:

run 'START_APPLICATION "\My Flash Disk\Utils\ResInfo.exe" ""'

Put in Start.ui under <state st_Start> immediately below <script init>

(adding to end of st_Start didn't work for me)

Start.ui is located here:

\ui_pioneer\common\ui\start.ui

MAP BUTTON:

<SPRITE xxx x=725 y=105 z=100 bmp="datalogger_CoolGaugeLayout1.bmp" onrelease='run sc_ActivateEvoScan, playsound "!button"' visiblemodel="ui.vMapCompass=1" USE_SEPARATED_SAFETY_MODE=0>

Button defined here:

\ui_pioneer\800_480\ui\navigatemap_800_480.ui

[The button is located where 'my speed' sign would be in Diaftia's mod - which I turned off (obviously)]

[This is using my bmp and my script, obviously you'll have to create your own uniquely named bmp and script]

Script for Button (tells it what to do when clicked):

<script sc_ActivateEvoScan>
run 'START_APPLICATION "\My Flash Disk\Utils\ResInfo.exe" ""'
</script>

Script for button goes here:

\ui_pioneer\common\ui\general.ui

(This is where I put it, however it seems the .ui files are global so I guess it could go in anywhere)

BMP Directory:

\ui_pioneer\800_480

(Use an exiting .bmp from this directory or create your own - but it must be compressed using MioMapBMP)

(Read them using MioMap or iPAQ)

NOTES:

This is my first attempt to create a mod for my system, and this works for me but comments/improvements on this are welcome. For example, using the "run 'START_APPLICATION xxx'" command on the map button will start a new instance of some programs (like notepad) rather than activating the already running window, so you would need to 'activate' the existing instance rather than creating a new one by calling "run 'START_APPLICATION xxx'".

For testing I used the "ResInfo.exe" utility - which is in Diaftia's 3.4 mod (not sure if it's there from the factory)

If there's an error in your syntax the system will get stuck in the 'Please Wait while Loading' Mode so (needless to say) make sure you back up everything before doing anything!

THANKS TO DIAFTIA for getting my auto-start mod started!