AVIC411.com

2-ways on head unit or external amp?

I have 2 4x6" 2-ways in the dash (polk db461) and 2 6.5" 2-ways in the front doors (DB561)

The amp I have has 2 HPF channels @ 40w RMS each or 1 @ 100w RMS.

If I run 2 speakers on the head unit, and 2 on the amp, I have to turn the amp all the way down to get any sort of volume leveling between the 4, otherwise, it's just the dash speakers overpowering the door speakers.

I was wondering if 2-ways are even worth putting on an amp at all?

The f700BT has a 3 band parametric EQ with 12 total frequencies adjustable as well as a built in high pass filter - which makes me wonder if I would even notice the difference at the same volume vs putting them on the amp...

Any ideas?

I plan to get components as soon as possible, know that I know how good they are, but for now, I want to use these.

Side note: is it bad to run the speakers from the head unit? what about vs running all speakers on amps? will it last longer if I don't? Will it get hotter if I do?

• 1 month later...

high pass filter channels? lol

I dont know where to begin. the "ways" of the speaker don't really determine whether you should put an amp to them. the speakers you are using dont' need an amplifier. They are "normal" aftermarket replacements. If you'd like the have cleaner, louder sound (in layman's terms) you can amp them, but typically 4x6 speakers can not handle a lot of power, especially LFE (<100hz).

high pass filter channels? lol

I dont know where to begin. the "ways" of the speaker don't really determine whether you should put an amp to them. the speakers you are using dont' need an amplifier. They are "normal" aftermarket replacements. If you'd like the have cleaner, louder sound (in layman's terms) you can amp them, but typically 4x6 speakers can not handle a lot of power, especially LFE (<100hz).

Man, these DB461's handle a lot of power.

They are SUPER loud.

I have to turn the gain all the way down otherwise, they overpower the door DB561's.

When I read the topic, I assumed this was someone else because I've come a long way.

Anyways, the difference between 2-ways on the head unit and an amp is night and day.

But thanks for the reply (however long it may have been)