AVIC411.com

encoding video for the x920

when encoding, re-encoding, converting etc, from whatever format to xvid for the Pioneer's SD card slot, what do people find is the best resolution to use?

There are many combinations. Should it always be a 1:88 ratio if you're going to leave the screen in "normal" mode all the time (preferred - why keep switching back and forth).

I'd like to find the right combination between resolution, FPS and bitrate so when I do a conversion, I'll be able to count on it filling the screen without squishing the screen or letterboxing.

Of course, I understand some fiddling would be needed depending on how the original file was packaged. For now, lets just take a factory, 16x9 dvd rip as an example.

480x272 seems to work, as far as filling the screen goes, which is 1.765 - does that sound right?

OK, that's a good resolution for this screen size. That way I don't have to muck with the normal or full setting - just leave it in normal.

bitrate of 768 with audio conversions at 160 and I've been able to play every video converted to xvid.avi without a hitch - feature length films, videos, whatever.

All from a tiny, 8 gig Micro SD. Nice.

• 2 months later...

OK, that's a good resolution for this screen size. That way I don't have to muck with the normal or full setting - just leave it in normal.

bitrate of 768 with audio conversions at 160 and I've been able to play every video converted to xvid.avi without a hitch - feature length films, videos, whatever.

All from a tiny, 8 gig Micro SD. Nice.

What program are you using to encode?

• 2 weeks later...

I have solved all of this with my unit....I should have made a video of what I did. I have a WDTV that I disassembled and soldered in a connection to directly wire it to the cars power supply. It's a 12v power cord so no need to do anything with the power just tapped right into the decks power line. I then cut off the IR sensor from the board and soldered some wires to the connection points on the board then soldered the wires to the removed IR sensor. Installed the WDTV on top of the deck behind the dash with some double stick tape ran the wires out the front and mounted the IR sensor on the dash.

Ending result is I can play MKV, AVI, WMV and pretty much any other video I want by connecting the usb port that I ran to the glove box. I can also grab video from Youtube and a few other sources when I use my phone as a hotspot

• 1 year later...