AVIC411.com

Separate Audio and Video Sources

I have a Magden M1.b Performance Computer attached to my Z120BT. This computer shows my cars gauges on my Head Unit screen. I have done the bypass so that I can display the gauges while I'm driving, but now I want to figure out how to view this video input feed, but play audio from either FM or Bluetooth audio. Can I do this?

If you don't have a backup camera, yeah.

You can run the M1b into the backup camera input, then change map mode to rear view, that will allow any AV source to be selected while displaying the gauges.

I know it's not the best solution in the world...btw, I'm super jealous. I wanted one of those a while ago but could never justify the cost, and now they don't make them anymore...

Yeah, I got one used a few months ago. Still really expensive.

004-4.jpg

So I have to go back into the dash and change that out? I'm assuming I just have to plug the other end of the composite video into a different female input. That's still a pain, because I have to take everything apart again, but I'd say it's worth it.

I currently have it running to the Video In female input, and it comes up perfectly fine, but I just figured on a unit this expensive the audio and video sources would be independent if that was desired.

Wow that looks awesome.

Yeah, you'll have to pull it out and just swap the plug from video in to rear camera in. You might be able to do it by just taking the two side panels off.

Unfortunately there isn't any way to have a separate audio and video sources at the same time unless going via the backup camera route. I must warn you, it will make the gauges slightly smaller because it's going to put a small map on the right. Once it's all hooked up, go into settings, make sure the camera input is turned on. Then whenever you want to see the gauges, hit settings, map settings, view mode, rear view.

rearview.png

Well, that's a bummer. I guess it will be worth it though. After all, it is primarily used for radio...idk, just bugs me that it's not an option to choose those independently.

Will the map work with the GPS? For example, would I be able to program a route and have the map give me guidance while the gauges were still on the left part of the screen?

Will there still be a way to view only the gauges? Without the map and music? That would make it a win/win really, because then I would have the full screen gauges, as well as the 2/3 screen with music. If not, I still think I'll do it...

Sounds good. I really hope I can just pop that side panel off and pry that harness out enough to make the swap...if not, I have a lot of taking apart to do to get to the plug...

Thanks for the help though, I'll try it later once I can get down to my car...college sucks in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, I finally got this done, and it works as you said.

My main problem is, I can't get the gauges to shrink in size. They just moved over, and part of the edges are cut off. I've tried changing the output on the Magden, and it makes it worse if I change it off what I have. I'd rather have smaller gauges than cut off ones though. Any way to change the image on the Head Unit?

This would be so much easier if, like other units, audio and video selections were independent. The I could display full screen gauges and play music. I wish I could figure out a way to make that work.

I think those things are basically mini-itx motherboards running embedded software, probably from a compact flash card. I'm sure there's a way to underscan the video or modify the parameters beyond the choices they give you. It's just a matter of how much hacking you want to do...lol

I was looking in the manual for that thing; does increasing the left/right margins do anything helpful?