AVIC411.com

AVIC Z120BT Mic Solution

I had a Z120BT installed in my car and the installer did an great job! Before he started the work, I purchased the Parrot Dual Mic. He first tried to wire the factory mic located in the steering column, did not work well. Then he tried the Pioneer mic, did not work well. Plugged in the Parrot Dual Mic, worked great! Mounted on the steering colunm and the BT phone clarity is very good and the VR works well, even with the top down. If you use an iPhone 4, make sure that it is not on mono or else you will drive the people who have called or received calls nuts as their voices will echo on their end.

I had a Z120BT installed in my car and the installer did an great job! Before he started the work, I purchased the Parrot Dual Mic. He first tried to wire the factory mic located in the steering column, did not work well. Then he tried the Pioneer mic, did not work well. Plugged in the Parrot Dual Mic, worked great! Mounted on the steering colunm and the BT phone clarity is very good and the VR works well, even with the top down. If you use an iPhone 4, make sure that it is not on mono or else you will drive the people who have called or received calls nuts as their voices will echo on their end.

Where did you buy the Parrot mic from? Can you share details (model number, etc)?

The mic worked in my particular car installed by a very experienced guy. I hope it works for you!

I tried the steering column position with the Pioneer mic. Didn't work very well for me. So I tried other places. Finally got decent results with the mic near the overhead courtesy light, so it is above and near the center of the windshield. Pointed at me.

How do you have your mics pointed? Both pointed back at you, I'd guess (the driver - or since its a 911 - the pilot :mrgreen: ). I was wondering if the dual mic setup might pick up more road noise etc, since it seems one of the mics would always also pick up more of everything. Glad to hear that works though, especially in a convertible. That has to be a worst-case scenario.

My 987C has more interior noise than the typical car - engine/exhaust/road and wind when the windows are down. My stock Pioneer mic works, but it does pick up extraneous noises too. Which is very distracting to the persons on the other end.

If this works for others, I may order one. Although I will wait to install until I get a back-up camera. Too big of a hassle to get behind the HU and then route the wire.

RonS, the dual mics are pointed back towards me mounted on the steering column. For me, I also use the VR with the top down, very useful when you are trying to out run the police chasing you for speeding. :mrgreen:

Yeah, VR works pretty good, but how's the BT quality for when you are trying to talk to your lawyer???:rolleyes:

really look forward to seeing your guy's experience with this mic. I almost picked one up last year when i got my unit but heard several conflicting opinions. Currently I'm using the garmin mic which was certainly an improvement over the pioneer but still not usable for calls...