AVIC411.com

NEW PIONEER system?

It's basically app mode with touch screen controls being passed to the iPhone.

As far as I know, there is no actual GPS in the unit, it depends on the iPhone to navigate. That may be a big drawback for some.

Yep....the old question stands...what happens to your route when you hit a dead zone or are in a very remote area like the mountains where cell phone service is non-existant?

Since I don't have a Z130BT, how do you control the apps with the Z130BT if there are no touch screen controls being sent back to the iPhone? Personally, I'd like to get the Z130BT over the AppRadio since it has a built in GPS in addition to the apps but if I cannot control the apps from the screen, it sounds like a clunky interface. Do you need to control the apps from the phone itself?

Thanks.

You don't control any apps with the Z or any other unit except this new unit. App Mode on the Z is merely an easy to view the video from video capable apps on the phone.

Thanks. It sounds to me like they need an AppRadio with a built in GPS for those times when you have no cell signal. Seems impractical to reply just on your phone for service. Maybe down the road.

Yep....the old question stands...what happens to your route when you hit a dead zone or are in a very remote area like the mountains where cell phone service is non-existant?

Since I don't have a Z130BT, how do you control the apps with the Z130BT if there are no touch screen controls being sent back to the iPhone? Personally, I'd like to get the Z130BT over the AppRadio since it has a built in GPS in addition to the apps but if I cannot control the apps from the screen, it sounds like a clunky interface. Do you need to control the apps from the phone itself?

Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing> I will remove my pioneer 930bt and install this unit, I personally never played any cd's or dvd's . But according to this article the init will come with a gps antenna, so I guess it will work in conjuction with motion-x gps. but we will see LOL

"Rumors regarding Pioneer's AppRadio hit the web last month, promising unparalleled iDevice integration for our automobiles. Pioneer has finally unleashed the double-DIN device, and it's everything we thought it would be -- namely a big car stereo that plays nice with iOS. There's an 800 x 400 6.1-inch multitouch capacitive display, Bluetooth connectivity, and it teams up with your iPhone or iPod touch (running iOS 4.2) via a 30-pin connector and Pioneer's AppRadio app. There's also an external mic and GPS antenna, full iPod music control and Google Maps integration, and specially formatted apps from Rdio and Pandora. Pioneer suggests a price "below $500" when it goes on sale June 22nd. We're going hands-on with the new stereo as we speak, so peruse the PR after the break and stay tuned for pics and impressions. "

My link

Actually, this article claims that the AppRadio has a built in AM/FM radio along with a GPS receiver for when the iPhone is out of service range. So, does it run it's own GPS or MotionX-Drive's maps off of the iPhone using the head units receiver? I would think the latter but would still prefer an internal independant non-iPhone GPS version as a back up but maybe that's just me.

Click on the press release in the link for more info from Pioneer:

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/05/26/hands-on-with-pioneers-iphone-integrated-appradio/

According to the article it has no internal maps. It uses the iPhone's maps. And for those of you that don't know, you don't need cell service to use the GPS apps on the iPhone. It has a dedicated GPS receiver.

Isn't it safe to say that you need cell service to do POI searches and have the map continue to scroll as you drive? I don't think the iPhone apps contain all that data within them. I thought they relied upon a live server connection to get it's data? This cloud GPS 'so-to-speak' is in fact a bit different then a traditional stand alone GPS product that runs on DVD's, Flash Memory, or an HDD. I can't imagine the downloaded app containg 8.5GB+ worth of data.

The GPS app on my in-dash iPad install uses an internal POI database that only requires a GPS signal to find what I am looking for. Only the Google search feature in the app I use requires a network connection. Other apps like MotionX work in a similar fashion. Only about 10% of the time on most iOS GPS apps is a 3G connection required AFAIK. IMO, this head unit and the way it works is going to spell the end of head units as we know it. As more apps are available you will have the choice to completely "customize" your head unit the way you want it and to what fits your needs. I have to say this is genius and I hate to say that about Pioneer. Now, as to weather it works well and without some stupid Pioneer like limitation remains to be seen.