AVIC411.com

Yet another grayed out buttons e-brake question.

Hey all. I have a Z110BT.

Using the search function, I've come to learn that the reason why most of the options on the settings menu are grayed out is because the emergency brake is not engaged. However, my buttons are grayed out even when the e-brake is engaged.

I've also learned that the e-brake wire is the "green" one.

So here's my question. Where should the trouble shooting begin? Should I start to dig into the e-brake and check the green wire's connectivity? Will I need to pull the head unit?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I am a complete noob.

Hey all. I have a Z110BT.

Using the search function, I've come to learn that the reason why most of the options on the settings menu are grayed out is because the emergency brake is not engaged. However, my buttons are grayed out even when the e-brake is engaged.

I've also learned that the e-brake wire is the "green" one.

So here's my question. Where should the trouble shooting begin? Should I start to dig into the e-brake and check the green wire's connectivity? Will I need to pull the head unit?

Any guidance would be appreciated as I am a complete noob.

First, you didn't say which buttons didn't work. If it is just one - there may be another issue. If it is a problem w/PB circuit, you won't be able to set a destinatin, play any video (like DVD) and a whole lot of stuff.

Before you go tearing into things, lets try a simple test to verify that your problem is the PB sensor/circuit. Go to the Settings/Navi Settings screen. The 3rd line displays the state of the PB. Now set and release your PB several times and note whether the AVIC detects the change. If it always says "Off", then that is your problem.

If that is the issue (which it probably is), then you have two choices:

-- re-install the PB connection as shown in the installation manual

-- pull the HU and install the by-pass

However, if you paid to install the HU, take it back - he F'd up and you didn't get what you paid for. A pro might not want to do the by-pass for potential liability issues, but he still should not have left you leave with this important functionality not working.

If you did it yourself - or a friend, then you messed up something. I recommend pulling the HU and doing the bypass and be done with it (and gaining lots of functionality). If you do, use common sense while driving and don't let your new toy distract you. Its nice to be able to search for a POI while driving - but it is also dangerous. ANd for God's sake, don't watch a DVD.

• 2 weeks later...
Before you go tearing into things, lets try a simple test to verify that your problem is the PB sensor/circuit. Go to the Settings/Navi Settings screen. The 3rd line displays the state of the PB. Now set and release your PB several times and note whether the AVIC detects the change. If it always says "Off", then that is your problem.

Hey RonS,

These are the screens that come up. The first is the main menu screen showing "Destination/Phone/AV Source". On this screen I press "Settings".

a4c91b89.jpg

The next screen is the "Settings Menu". I'm not sure if I am in the right place but I dont see PB setting and the only buttons which I can access on this screen are the "AV Settings" and the "AV Sound". :-(

1d90024b.jpg

Hey RonS,

These are the screens that come up. The first is the main menu screen showing "Destination/Phone/AV Source". On this screen I press "Settings".

The next screen is the "Settings Menu". I'm not sure if I am in the right place but I dont see PB setting and the only buttons which I can access on this screen are the "AV Settings" and the "AV Sound". :-(

Here is what I meant to say (emphasis added):

Go to the Settings / Navi Settings / Connection Status screen. The 3rd line displays the state of the PB. Now set and release your PB several times and note whether the AVIC detects the change. If it always says "Off", then that is your problem.

Here is what I meant to say (emphasis added):

Hey Ron,

Well, if I am understanding you correctly, I went to the "Settings / Navi Settings / Connection Status" screen as pictured above. While I did not find an icon or status for the parking brake, I did try to engage the PB several times but to no avail.

I suppose I will check the connection to the parking brake. Do you happen to know where the green wire connects to the parking brake mechanism? Thanks.

Hey Ron,

Well, if I am understanding you correctly, I went to the "Settings / Navi Settings / Connection Status" screen as pictured above. While I did not find an icon or status for the parking brake, I did try to engage the PB several times but to no avail.

I suppose I will check the connection to the parking brake. Do you happen to know where the green wire connects to the parking brake mechanism? Thanks.

Are you saying that when you touch "Settings", then "Navi Settings", then "Connection Status", you don't get a screen that says "GPS Status" that shows "Speed Pulse", "GPS Antenna", "Parking Brake", "Illumination", and "Back Status" ? What unit do you have? Here is the Z120 manual. see pg 148. It's exactly the same on the Z110.

Users Manual

The "Parking Brake" should say ON or Off and toggle as you disengage or engage it. Note: if PB is bypassed, it always says "On".

As far as wiring, I never connected a parking brake, but here is the Z-110/Z120 (same thing) install manual. See pg 12. Install How it actually connects to your car's Parking Brake might vary depending on the model.

• 1 month later...

Are you saying that when you touch "Settings", then "Navi Settings", then "Connection Status", you don't get a screen that says "GPS Status" that shows "Speed Pulse", "GPS Antenna", "Parking Brake", "Illumination", and "Back Status" ? What unit do you have? Here is the Z120 manual. see pg 148. It's exactly the same on the Z110.

Users Manual

The "Parking Brake" should say ON or Off and toggle as you disengage or engage it. Note: if PB is bypassed, it always says "On".

Hey Ron, I have the Z110. I looked at the manual (page 22) and compared it to your post and to the pictures of my unit above. I can touch "Settings" on the main screen. The next screen is titled "Settings Menu". This is as far as I can get because the "Navi Settings" option/button on this screen is grayed out (picture included above) as is every other option/button with the exception of "AV Settings" and "AV Sound"...

Unfortunately the unit will not allow me to get to the screen which would allow me to test the parking brake...

Now that I understand where you want me to go and why I cant get there, I'm wondering if there isn't some type of security feature that has been triggered due to the unit thinking that its been tampered with? Maybe this would account for the lack of accessibility?