AVIC411.com

Does anyone w/Z1 own the GEX-P5700 or GEX-P6400 TV Tuner?

Does anyone own the GEX-P5700 or GEX-P6400 TV Tuner? I am interested in buying a TV tuner but I wanted some input first as to the reception and the functionality of these TV tuners. Do they work very well and are they worth the money?

Also, what are the differences between these two models and are there any other models out ther that will work with the Z1?

I own the GEX-P5700. It is what it is. :-) It works as advertised. Depending on where you live you may get more or less channels than someone in a different area, but the picture, when it receives one is acceptable (at least here in Maryland). I'm equidistant between Washington D.C and Baltimore, Maryland. I get about 5 VHF channels and 6 UHF channels. It's fine in a pinch. Between the tv options and dvds playing in the vehicle, I am satisfied. I am more interested in getting a digital tv tuner though since the FCC allegedly is going to force all broadcasters to do away with analog broadcasts and begin broadcasting everything in digital tv format. Not HDTV, but DTV. When/if that happens, our GEXX-P5700 will be worthless. Pioneer needs to come out with a ATSC digital tv tuner for the AVIC-Z1. They have a digital TV tuner for the Japanese market already, but when I contacted Pioneer they said they have no plans to introduce one here in America. :-(

Does anyone own the GEX-P5700 or GEX-P6400 TV Tuner? I am interested in buying a TV tuner but I wanted some input first as to the reception and the functionality of these TV tuners. Do they work very well and are they worth the money?

Also, what are the differences between these two models and are there any other models out ther that will work with the Z1?

1998 Ford Explorer 2Dr Sport 4X4

Avic-Z1 (NAV Head Unit)

CD-SR1 (Steering Remote)

SIR-PNR2 (Sirius Sat Adapter)

ND-BT1 (Bluetooth adapter)

CD-IB100II (Ipod Adapter)

I have the GEX-P7000TV. It will also work with the Z1, but it requires a little modification to the unit to get it to work. Search the forum for 'GEX-P7000TV' and you will find a post by GnatGoSplat about how to modify it. Its pretty easy and doesn't permenantly damage the unit.

I get pretty good reception and the funcationality is pretty good. I get 36 presets and can change channels, thats about all the funcationality you'll need.