AVIC411.com

Problem With AVIC-930BT Bypass

Just bought and got a 930 installed from a relible high-volume car audio store in my area. I asked for them to apply the bypass which they agreed to do. When I picked up the car, the bypass was not working. They disassembled and confirmed that the wiring had been done correctly. They indicated that my unit was the first that ever failed to achieve the intended hack. They are guessing that Pioneer may have recently changed something in the hardware or firmware (3.001) that nullifies the bypass wiring. They are going to check with their sources to see what they can find. Has anyone else noted this bypass failure? Might they have just mis-wired the car?

probably mis wired. my guess is that if they did put the mute wire in the right spot, they failed to seat the pin all the way into the harness. hopefully it isn't broken.

I've had success in fixing a similar situation with my steering wheel remote by sticking a piece of copper wire (a single thread) into the hole where the pin and harness meet. it provides enough of a connection between a pin that's not seated all the way and the harness input. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start yet another topic, but I too am having the parking brake problem with a recently acquired X930bt.

Initial start up after battery reconnection, unit works fine. I can drive around the neighborhood fine, but once I hit a little over 40MPH, the unit displays the parking brake error message. Once that has occurred, then the unit will fully function only when at or near stopped. For example, on one GPS screen the ability to enter an address "grays out" when movement resumes. This occurs with and without the VSS wire connected. Most annoying with this problem is the parking brake error message appears at every vehicle start up and prevents audio resuming without several button touches. If I removed battery power the sequence repeats.

From the above, I assume the unit is accessing the GPS function and noting the speed and inferring something is wrong with the parking brake wiring.

Trouble shooting steps I have taken:

1. Removed unit twice to check wiring and proper yellow/black wire pin placement; proper pin position and fully inserted double checked.

2. Yellow/black wire joined with green and unit ground and all connected to same ground. Used a digital VOM to ensure proper connection between yellow/black, green, and black all combined to ground.

3. Verified the x930bt thinks parking brake is ON - it displays this on the appropriate page even though it isn't (how could it since it goes to ground with yellow/black wire). Assumption, perhaps faulty, that the GPS is over-riding the parking brake ON signal.

Not verified, that somehow the yellow/black wire pin is not making good contact on the alternate pin. Don't know how to measure once connector is attached to unit.

Help please.

it does sound like a mute wire issue, either not making contact with pin on the radio, or its in the wrong position, i have had a couple that i have had to try again to get it to work, i have never had one not work, i doubt pioneer has removed this from the programming as this is how their techs test the units out in the field.

Thank you for that, I'll take it apart again...fingers crossed.

Edit: Went back in, pulled the yellow/black wire and another wire from the same harness. Yellow black pin opening looked just a tiny bit bigger (got out a 10x magnifier in case I was imagining it), so I got a small set of needle-nose pliers and put a bit of pressure on the pin at the opening. Reinserted connector. Just got back from a test drive up over 50MPH.

Worked like a charm - guess I was just a victim of manufacturing tolerances - all's well that end's well.

thanks again for the encouragement to look again.

cool beans, glad it was an easy fix.

as a good reference for anybody with similar problems,

if after the bypass, it doesn't work, and it doesn't show the P-brake as set in the connection screen, its the P-brake wire that is not grounded.

if it does work when parked but stops when moving fast, then its a mute wire problem.

from what i've noticed, with the newer harness that the 930 uses, it is a lot harder to (a) get the mute wire out, and (b ) get the mute wire back in all the way.

• 5 months later...

When i my Pioneer AVIC 930bt head unit on it implies that the Brake is not properly connected and i need to check the configuration for safety. I spoke with my installer and he assured me that the bypass was done. But when i have the car in motion and im playing a dvd it turns off still. Does anybody know if it is not properly hooked up from the back with that yellow wire or is there still a setting that i need to adjust with the actual unit in order for it to work?? i also noticed when going under the settings menu the option "setting applicator" is never available to click on.

If anybody can help me out with any info regarding this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kmexlight@gmail.com

I spoke with my installer and he assured me that the bypass was done.

well let me assure you that it was not done (correctly anyways)

If anybody can help me out with any info regarding this it would be greatly appreciated.

allready did, READ POST #8

if it does work when parked but stops when moving fast, then its a mute wire problem.
when i have the car in motion and im playing a dvd it turns off still

so lets make sure im paying attention,

a DVD will show up on the screen while parked (if yes, then the P-brake wire is grounded and not your problem)

a DVD will stop showing up on the screen while moving over a certian speed (if yes then the newely moved mute wire is not grounded or not in the right posistion)

long story short, this is a easy bypass, move one pin, and ground two wires, if it works, then it is done right. if it doesn't work then it is done wrong. either do it right yourself or find an installer that knows which side of the soldering iron to grab.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if i sound dumb guys, but this is defiantly not my expertise! anyhow so reading this blog I have realized it must be something with the Mute Wire on my avic-x9115bt cuz it works tell i hit ten MPH and then says the warning thing! Now the install expert said something about a soldiering iron??? Now I am confused by what I wold need the iron for and I'm assuming i guess soldering the wires together to the ground or mute wire to the harness??? This is a hard and the first Bypass for me and I barely knew what I was doing! Sorry to get off topic as well a CD has also gotten stuck for the 2nd time since i started messing with it some more with a buddy who has done the Bypass on his car! He took it out the first time I'm assuming its best to do it when taking Unit out of dash to finish the Bypass, but how??? thanks for your help guys appreciated!

different units do have different posistions that the mute wire need to be moved, you will want to make sure that you are following the right set of instructions. as i have never heard of a x9115bt, im not sure which method to follow, but if all of the plugs look the same as a x910, i would start there, i have never seen a bypass for any of the F, X, or Z units to need a soldering iron to complete the task.