AVIC411.com

Question About Z120 BT

Ive had my AVIC 120BT for almost a month now and i like everything about it. only thing is i cant enter in an address while im driving. Ive read on alot of other forums and youtube videos about moving over the yellow mute wire just 1 spot and "its bypassed" but they dont tell me what its bypassing. Is it the navigation so i can enter in an address while im driving or just to be able to watch a DVD while driving. I could care less about watching a DVD but i would like to enter in an address. any tips would be greatly appreciated. I had this unit professionally installed in my 09' Impala.

Ive had my AVIC 120BT for almost a month now and i like everything about it. only thing is i cant enter in an address while im driving. Ive read on alot of other forums and youtube videos about moving over the yellow mute wire just 1 spot and "its bypassed" but they dont tell me what its bypassing. Is it the navigation so i can enter in an address while im driving or just to be able to watch a DVD while driving. I could care less about watching a DVD but i would like to enter in an address. any tips would be greatly appreciated. I had this unit professionally installed in my 09' Impala.

Parking Brake bypass fools the AVIC into thinking your parking brake is on, thus allowing all functions that are normally locked-out. The usual way is, as you referenced, use the normally unused Mute wire (yellow/black). If you actually use the Mute feature (common for OnStar & maybe some steering-wheel controls), then you may need to find a compatable pin/wire from some other source.

So, yes, it will allow you to enter destinations, search POI, and many other functions.

Parking Brake bypass fools the AVIC into thinking your parking brake is on, thus allowing all functions that are normally locked-out. The usual way is, as you referenced, use the normally unused Mute wire (yellow/black). If you actually use the Mute feature (common for OnStar & maybe some steering-wheel controls), then you may need to find a compatable pin/wire from some other source.

So, yes, it will allow you to enter destinations, search POI, and many other functions.

So im new to this whole thing are you telling me that i need to move over the yellow mute wire in order for it to work or should it already since the professional install place "sort of bypassed" my head unit since the DVD function works while driving just not the entering addresses while driving. and i did buy the GM switch so i can keep all my speakers and factory amp cause my came with 6 Bose speakers and a AMP i also have the switch installed so i can use my steering wheel functions but i dont use the On Star at all so if i switch the yellow/black mute wire everything in theory should work correct? any assistance would be greatly appreciated its the only thing i dislike about my Head unit is that i cant enter an addy while driving

So im new to this whole thing are you telling me that i need to move over the yellow mute wire in order for it to work or should it already since the professional install place "sort of bypassed" my head unit since the DVD function works while driving just not the entering addresses while driving. and i did buy the GM switch so i can keep all my speakers and factory amp cause my came with 6 Bose speakers and a AMP i also have the switch installed so i can use my steering wheel functions but i dont use the On Star at all so if i switch the yellow/black mute wire everything in theory should work correct? any assistance would be greatly appreciated its the only thing i dislike about my Head unit is that i cant enter an addy while driving

Can you enter a destination address or search for POI with the car parked? If so, then they didn't do it right. The procedure is well documented on this board and several YouTube videos. The process is exactly the same for the Z110 and Z120. For other models, a different method is used. Sounds like they used a different procedure. Maybe they just grounded the PB wire. Or maybe they didn't get the moved wire seated fully in the connector. I can't diagnose it. But if done correctly, it will work.