AVIC411.com

I'm a long time D3 user who's just acquired a new vehicle, left behind my D3 in the old, and am considering doing my first self installation. My D3 was installed by Best Buy, and installation was quite affordable. Now, 5 or so years later, their quote to install an AppRadio is $320 (if I wanted to maintain steering wheel controls). This price has pushed me to consider installing myself. I've never done an in dash installation before, but am generally a pretty handy person (basic home repair, build computers, home theatre setups, etc).

So I know I have to get a dash kit and I believe an antenna adapter to install an AppRadio into my 2007 Chevy Silverado. Can anyone provide advice, insight or links to resources for a first time installer?

I'm game to give this a go, but of course dont want to f it up.

Thanks!

I'm a long time D3 user who's just acquired a new vehicle, left behind my D3 in the old, and am considering doing my first self installation. My D3 was installed by Best Buy, and installation was quite affordable. Now, 5 or so years later, their quote to install an AppRadio is $320 (if I wanted to maintain steering wheel controls). This price has pushed me to consider installing myself. I've never done an in dash installation before, but am generally a pretty handy person (basic home repair, build computers, home theatre setups, etc).

So I know I have to get a dash kit and I believe an antenna adapter to install an AppRadio into my 2007 Chevy Silverado. Can anyone provide advice, insight or links to resources for a first time installer?

I'm game to give this a go, but of course dont want to f it up.

Thanks!

I purchased everything from Crutchfield. You just put your car in and they tell you everything you need to install the radio. They also provide installation guides for some of the common stuff.

I purchased everything from Crutchfield. You just put your car in and they tell you everything you need to install the radio. They also provide installation guides for some of the common stuff.

Interestingly enough, Crutchfield site tells me it won't fit in my Silverado. I've got a double DIN. I wonder why it returns this result.

VBlue, can you elaborate? Are you confirming that the AppRadio will fit in my Silverado?

I chatted with Crutchfield support yesterday evening; and their explanation was that it's 1/4 inch too deep. Is this the 1/4 inch beyond "recommend" clearance and not 1/4 Inch beyond actual available space?

Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong but GM is normally 1.5 DIN unless you make modifications. Crutchfield says the same thing for my 06 VW. Evern though I do have a double din opening, in order to install a radio you need to break out the dremel. I think this is why Crutchfield is iffy on those directions.

Advice, just make sure you have the right size opening. As far as the install, check PAC Audio for steering wheel adapters. Everything should be straight forward and well documented on the net.

And by all means I suggest everyone try their own install. You will learn a lot from doing that and there are a bunch of us out there that can answer questions if you get hung up. PM me if you need any help.

VBlue, can you elaborate? Are you confirming that the AppRadio will fit in my Silverado?

I chatted with Crutchfield support yesterday evening; and their explanation was that it's 1/4 inch too deep. Is this the 1/4 inch beyond "recommend" clearance and not 1/4 Inch beyond actual available space?

Thanks

I was more referring to the fact that their fit guide is often wrong in its assessments. I have know knowledge about your vehicle though.

I can also say, Crutchfield can be "wrong" at times. Don;t think of their fit guide as the bible of car installation but if they don't support/recommend installation for your setup with a specific vehicle doesn't mean it won't work. They literally told me not to upgrade my radio in my MINI and that it was not recommended, but look...

miniappradio.jpg

Can someone help me compile a list of what I need to purchase to complete this installation?

1) App Radio

2) Silverado Compatible Dash Kit

3) PAC-SWI PS Steering Wheel Controller

Crutchfield is also showing the following:

1) Single pole-double throw replay (seems to be for an alarm, which I don't have)

2) OnStar Bus Interface (I don't use it, don't care if it is retained)

3) Antenna Adapter

Do I need any of these as well?

Thanks

having used both the PAC and the axxess steering wheel remote modules, I cannot recommend the PAC to anyone. it lags and it's a pain to program. the axxess is usually plug and play and it's way faster.

I also used the axxess for my MINI is it was so automated I had the steering wheel controls working before I realized they were working haha. It is really nice because it programs itself. I like that you can program the controls from the steering wheel on the AppRadio as well.

Grradams, could you explain that last bit a little more. Do you mean from within the head you can assigns what each button press controls?

Yes, regardless of what the axxess box programs your steering to control, within the AppRadio's settings you can choose which button on the steering wheel controls a certain function of the radio. When you first press the steering wheel button in the AppRadio's menu, you can individually program each function or there is this little wizard that basically (and this is not word for word as to what you'll see on the screen) shows:

"Press Your Steering Wheels Volume + Button", once you press it it accepts that button as the control and then it goes to the next one...

"Press You Steering Wheels Source Button", if you don't have some of the buttons is requests you really can push wev button you want to be the control for that function.

Pretty awesome.