AVIC411.com

Z130BT - Map upgrade & Handling Tip?

Hello,

First, I'm trying to get some information regarding how map upgrade works. I might not use the right terms, but I can't find anything (if it's not because I have a 3 letter word i.e.: map. I am used to Garmin's GPS unit where they upgrade around 4 times a year. On Pioneer sites, for the Z130BT I don't see any information regarding the possibility of updating the current maps (US & Canada).

Where should I look for map upgrades? How many times a year does Pioneer update their maps? Any cost related to that?

Second, I had to park inside a big mall; I am used to get a "no signal" from a Garmin unit, but this one keeps it quiet. The only thing is when I got out of the building, my position was way offseted. Any tip to fix that quick when it happens or it's just a matter of time until the unit realizes that he's not at the right place?

Thank for pointing out any info related to maintaining the maps up to date.

Hello,

First, I'm trying to get some information regarding how map upgrade works. I might not use the right terms, but I can't find anything (if it's not because I have a 3 letter word i.e.: map. I am used to Garmin's GPS unit where they upgrade around 4 times a year. On Pioneer sites, for the Z130BT I don't see any information regarding the possibility of updating the current maps (US & Canada).

Where should I look for map upgrades? How many times a year does Pioneer update their maps? Any cost related to that?

Second, I had to park inside a big mall; I am used to get a "no signal" from a Garmin unit, but this one keeps it quiet. The only thing is when I got out of the building, my position was way offseted. Any tip to fix that quick when it happens or it's just a matter of time until the unit realizes that he's not at the right place?

Thank for pointing out any info related to maintaining the maps up to date.

Don't expect regular map updates like with Garmin. It seems Pioneer updates the system (including maps) about once per year - or whenever they feel like it. For the Z1x0 series, an upgrade is supposed to be released in Sep that will upgrade the z110/z120 to be similar to a Z130 - and load the 2011 maps. It will allow the new Traffic reciever to work, and add many of the Z130 enhancements.The MSRP for this upgrade will be $200.

As far as the dead reckoning when no signal is available - the AVIC doesn't have a No Signal display - unless you look in the settings menu. However, it sounds like you don't have VSS and/or Backup sensors connected. I park in a parking garage and it seems to track my position very well. However, VSS is required to estimate speed/distance. The AVIC has an internal gyro that will detect turns and incline. It actually works very well in my car.

Don't expect regular map updates like with Garmin. It seems Pioneer updates the system (including maps) about once per year - or whenever they feel like it. For the Z1x0 series, an upgrade is supposed to be released in Sep that will upgrade the z110/z120 to be similar to a Z130 - and load the 2011 maps. It will allow the new Traffic reciever to work, and add many of the Z130 enhancements.The MSRP for this upgrade will be $200.

As far as the dead reckoning when no signal is available - the AVIC doesn't have a No Signal display - unless you look in the settings menu. However, it sounds like you don't have VSS and/or Backup sensors connected. I park in a parking garage and it seems to track my position very well. However, VSS is required to estimate speed/distance. The AVIC has an internal gyro that will detect turns and incline. It actually works very well in my car.

Thanks for the excellent info...

Is there a place where I could check for when a new update comes out for the Z130? As for it, the upgrade you talked about wont fit on it right? It needs to be solely for Z130BT for the upgrade to work?

For the no signal thing - I have installed the VSS but not the backup. Could it be the issue?

Thanks again!

JF

Thanks for the excellent info...

Is there a place where I could check for when a new update comes out for the Z130? As for it, the upgrade you talked about wont fit on it right? It needs to be solely for Z130BT for the upgrade to work?

For the no signal thing - I have installed the VSS but not the backup. Could it be the issue?

Thanks again!

JF

I think you have the current maps - or at least as far as Pioneer has. The Z110/Z120 upgrade probably wouldn't install on your Z130- and might be a bad idea to use if it did. There is a difference in the hardware. It could overwrite drivers or you might loose some functionality that isn't supported in the older models. I don't think Pioneer sends any announcements to customers when updates are available. I'd just check Pioneer USA's web site occasionally.

AFA dead reckoning, the backup wire is only marginally useful - unless you do lots of backing-up in the garage. The VSS - once the AVIC calibrates the pulse rate to your car, just tells the HU the ground speed. The BU circuit indicates if you are moving backward. Otherwise, the HU assumes that it is forward motion.

II'm assuming that otherwise - your GPS is positioning you correctly on the map. You might want to reset the sensor calibration - and let the HU re-calc. It only takes a few minutes to recalibrate. Go to Settings/Navi Settings/3D Calibration. See pg 151 in the users manual. Reset both Distance and Speed Pulse. BTW, you might want to carefully drive around while this screen is displayed while in the garage - just to see if the sensors are working correctly. It is possible your VSS isn't tapped in to the correct location.