AVIC411.com

List Albums by an Artist

Normally, if I'm using my iPod and a song comes up and I want to list the other Albums by said song's artist, I can long press the 'enter' button and it'll allow me to browse the current artists's albums. Is there a way to do this via the AVIC-Z120bt's interface? For example, say I'm playing all the songs on my iPod in shuffle mode and a song comes up by The Smashing Pumpkins. Is there a way to go directly to The Smashing Pumpkins' albums without going to all artists, then scrolling all the way though to the S's, then scrolling all the way to The Smashing Pumpkins?

Normally, if I'm using my iPod and a song comes up and I want to list the other Albums by said song's artist, I can long press the 'enter' button and it'll allow me to browse the current artists's albums. Is there a way to do this via the AVIC-Z120bt's interface? For example, say I'm playing all the songs on my iPod in shuffle mode and a song comes up by The Smashing Pumpkins. Is there a way to go directly to The Smashing Pumpkins' albums without going to all artists, then scrolling all the way though to the S's, then scrolling all the way to The Smashing Pumpkins?

Easy. Press the "Talk" button and say "Browse the artist Smashing Pumpkins".

Yes.

Press the Gear icon on the bottom of the iPod screen, and then select Link artist and you'll be linked to all songs by that artist. Or you can press link album and play all songs from the same album.

I've never used those "link" functions before, so I gave it a try. I pressed "Link Artist" while some random artist from my playlist was playing, and sure enough - it sort-of works. Two problems:

1. It interrupts the current song and starts playing some other song by the same artist. Not exactly seemless.

2. The OP asked for a way to see a list of albums by that artist. This method doesn't display any list - anywhere that I can see. It effectively creates a temporary hidden playlist that you can't view or select from.

So, I still think the voice command "Browse Artist" is a better (maybe only) way to accomplish this. That is, if your VR works. I have never had any trouble with the HU understanding VR commands. Which adds ammunition to the argument over what causes the poor BT hands-free quality. But that's another subject.

I've never used those "link" functions before, so I gave it a try. I pressed "Link Artist" while some random artist from my playlist was playing, and sure enough - it sort-of works. Two problems:

1. It interrupts the current song and starts playing some other song by the same artist. Not exactly seemless.

2. The OP asked for a way to see a list of albums by that artist. This method doesn't display any list - anywhere that I can see. It effectively creates a temporary hidden playlist that you can't view or select from.

So, I still think the voice command "Browse Artist" is a better (maybe only) way to accomplish this. That is, if your VR works. I have never had any trouble with the HU understanding VR commands. Which adds ammunition to the argument over what causes the poor BT hands-free quality. But that's another subject.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of using the voice commands. I've got a lot of oddly named artists on my iPod that make it very difficult for the unit to understand which one I'm talking about. Link Album is pretty close, it starts playing the album the current song is from. I just wish the default behavior for the unit was, if you click on the current artists name, it would take you to a list of all albums by that artist. Oh well, maybe someone will hack it so you can change that. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...