AVIC411.com

I got tired of all the problems with the Z130. What do I buy now?

I had a Z130 and I was having a lot of problems. The BT was horrible, navigation was weird (would make me get off a freeway then get back on) so I got rid of it.

Who makes a better unit? Kenwood? Alpine? Eclipse? Gotta have BT, gotta have good nav. Any suggestions?

Not so many choices out there, but look for units that use Tomtom navigation the most stable software that I've ever heard of, I'm in the market too since the last 4 years I still havn't found my dream navigation system the one that has dettachable full 7" touch screen, HD radio, Good navigation system, mp3/flac music player from external card with full artist/album/genre selection rather than using ipod interface, and I don't need DVD or CD player never used them in my car anyways.

You are looking for a tablet device not a DD unit. You are never going to find a device with all those features unless you move away from DD units. Even then you want get them all but you will get many more then with a DD unit. I have found my dream unit with my in dash iPad so you should look that way as well.

You are looking for a tablet device not a DD unit. You are never going to find a device with all those features unless you move away from DD units. Even then you want get them all but you will get many more then with a DD unit. I have found my dream unit with my in dash iPad so you should look that way as well.

I'm aware of that too, I wish apple releases a double DIN size tablet with an optional dock that holds the tablet and slides into the DIN cavity and takes ipod hard drives and connects to an external GPS antenna throu the dock connector, but I dought that apple will put an internal HD radio in the tablet and allow steering wheel control option.

I have GPS and steering wheel control with my setup. And you are never going to get everything your imagination comes up with so it is time to start being realistic about what you can have.

You made me laugh and yes you're right, how did you set up the steering wheel control though.

Through a Parrot MKi9000 BT kit. It can be wired in various ways including straight to an amp. It gives full control of: Play/Pause, Source Select, Track Skip, and Volume. It also has a USB port for flash drives an iPod cable and a 1/8" input for other MP3 players. At some point I will be uploading a video of it in action.

Through a Parrot MKi9000 BT kit. It can be wired in various ways including straight to an amp. It gives full control of: Play/Pause, Source Select, Track Skip, and Volume. It also has a USB port for flash drives an iPod cable and a 1/8" input for other MP3 players. At some point I will be uploading a video of it in action.

Oh I see, so it's an external remote control not the original steering control buttons, it's a cool toy.

Good to know they didn't fix BT (not)...

On the PriusChat.com forums, Frenchie had the top o line Kenwood - found it a bit buggy, moved to the Z110 EU version (F10?), then moved to the new Sony (which he likes). He did mention he still has the F10, and may try the upgrade - especially if it finally gets really hacked...

• 2 weeks later...

For years I had a JVC NX-7000. It had the detachable face (the only one that does) Ran on windows automotive. Great GPS, The most POIs available.

Very fast. The bluetooth was good, had ipod integration, but not iphone as far as the adaptor went. No Pandora.

While all the features I needed worked, back then everything wasn't integrated. Separate module for HD, Bluetooth, even disc changer.

What ever you wanted you daisy chained. I dunnot how the current one stacks up against it, but I think I'm gonna have another look.

I love garmin, but the implementation on the Kenwood 9980hd I just had installed leaves a lot to be desired. Navigationwise my new radio is worse than the JVC.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear your BT is horrible. I have the Z130 in my 2008 Corvette Z06. The car is very loud. My BT works great. People tell me I sound loud and clear. I hear them perfectly. My phone is an iphone 4. Perhaps the BT problem was related to the microphone location or maybe your cell phone?

As for GPS systems, they all have their issues. I seldom trust them 100%. They will eventually get you to where you want. I still like to check online before venturing out into the unknown. Good luck with finding a new system.

I had a Z130 and I was having a lot of problems. The BT was horrible, navigation was weird (would make me get off a freeway then get back on) so I got rid of it.

Who makes a better unit? Kenwood? Alpine? Eclipse? Gotta have BT, gotta have good nav. Any suggestions?

You need a good installer. it's important that every wire has to be connected and the most important is the speed sensor VSS wire who will give you continuous exact position. I did install from march 100 of it and no problem at all. Every update comes out is good for improvement.

Other unit Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion don't have the VSS wire.