AVIC411.com

installation help

I own a 98 Exploder and actually the VSS wire isn't in the radio harness but it's nearby and very accessible. Also, you WILL need some custom work in the dash at the stock radio opening. It has a flange that will need to be shaved off in order to get the Z1 to fit. You also have to remove an inner bracket that the stock radio slides in and out on.

If you can get everything installed for 28 sawbucks I would say go for it. That's a helluva lot better than 50 sawbucks.

The add-ons are a matter of preference. Do you want satellite radio? Do you own an ipod that you want to play through your Z1? Do you want to watch TV on you Z1? Do you want hands free phone capabilities with voice coming through your stereo speakers? The answers to these questions will determine which accessories to buy.

I personally like the Bluetooth adapter (ND-BT1) , the iPod adapter (CD-IB100II), the rear camera (mine is after market), and the SIRIUS radio interface (SIR-PNR2).

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Kevin

Actually, I think it depends on the Ford stereo that was installed by the factory.

I believe it is included in the harness of the Mach Stereo System and maybe the basic system. The VSS connection was used by the radio to silence the volume at slower speeds and increase the volume at higher speeds.

But the premium sound system does not have this feature and that's what I had in my Exploder and therefore, the VSS wire was NOT in my radio wiring harness. Believe me, I looked everywhere in the harness. And then the wiring diagram confirmed that it did not have it. It has the pin for it in the connector, but no grey/blk VSS wire.

However, the module located to the left of the stereo had the VSS wire in one of it's 3 connectors which I tapped into. I can't remember what the module is called. Please don't make me look.

Cheers,

Kevin

cntrylvr79,

I forgot to mention in my last post...the connector in your photo looks nothing like the one in my 98 Exploder.

that makes sense. If that plug ain't there then you're right no vss at the radio harness. In that case it's to the cruise control module you go. Which is where it sounds like you got yours at.