AVIC411.com

Map freezes at highway speed

Ok. I have had my Z1 in less than a week and am still getting to know the ins and outs.

One thing I noticed that has happened twice already is the map screen freezes up when I'm on the highway.

Here's the scenario: No route is set, I simply go to full map view and just keep track of the floating arrow as it tracks me on the road. Both times I have gone on the highway and go over something like 65 miles an hour let's say, the map freezes after a little while. So it looks like I stopped in the middle of the parkway! I then have to go to another screen and then go back to the map view to get it going again.

I tried a soft reset (pressed the reset button), but that didn't help. The VSS wire is hooked up and working fine and I have plenty of GPS satellites in view.

It's not a big deal for me, but obviously I don't want this to happen if I have a route set. I guess I will give it another week or so, since I only installed the unit over the weekend.

But has anyone had this happen to them?

The VSS wire is hooked up and working fine

Did you connect your VSS wire?

Mickey... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that bones did connect it.

At least that's what he says. :)

Anyway, the only time I have seen something like that was when we were messing with the hard drive and I put in one and it didn't work. It would lockup and fail.

Does the map nav screen lockup? Or does your position freeze? Can you adjust the zoom in and out, or north up or point up?

If the nav feature locks up and you have to go to AV and then come back I would think it's a bad Z1.

If you can do things on the nav screen but your position doesn't change, I would start by really double checking the VSS wire and the GPS antenna. If either of those drops out, or both do, it will think you are not moving. This still could be a defective Z1, but you might want watch the connection status screen if this kind of thing is easily reproducible. See if the VSS or the GPS is dropping out.

This is not normal behavior. I have never heard of a working Z1 install behaving like this.

The screen actually froze, but when I would try to zoom in or out (or any other options), then it suddenly kickstarted the screen and it would shoot me over to where I am actually positioned. I'm thinking I'm probably in the wrong screen to begin with.

I guess I'm still learning how to use this thing, I noticed certain map views show one fixed map and then I'll see the arrow slowly drive off the screen (ha).

I guess I'll give it a few more days before I start freaking out.

Thanks for your help guys, and specially Ducatiboy and Aviator03 for their install advice for my vehicle (the stealth GPS antenna install trick is awesome).