AVIC411.com

Questions,Z130BT vs Kenwood 9980 HD mods

Hi all.

I have the Kenwood 9980hd and I am disappointed in it. Considering the z130BT.

But I have some questions first.

In this pioneer Video

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/How+do+I+adjust+the+navigation+settings+on+the+AVIC-Z130BT

At about 3:06 the presenter shows adusting the overlay POI setting.

There is a button there that is grayed out, that says Custom POI

What have you been able to put in there if anything?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Kenwood does support custom POIs, they do not allow you to put custom bmps on the map to represent POIs, even though you can do it on a pure garmin unit.

Can you do this with the z130?

On the Kenwood, you cannot see POIs on the map in realtime. If your map is static, then the POIs will show up but you can drive right off the map and then you're gone. It doesn't follow your vehicle.

Do you have this problem with the z130bt?

On the 80 foot zoom, if I exceed 45mph,I drive off the edge of the map. The map does not refresh fast enough

Do you have this problem with the z130bt?

Thanks,

Dan

If custom POI is what you are after the Pioneer units are NOT what you want.

1. To get custom POI you have to use the AVIC FEEDS PC app to convert your POI and save them to the SD card. You then load them to the unit from there. The card will have to stay in the unit. You will only be able to display 10 custom categories at a time.

2. The Kenwood units use the Garmin POILoader app to implement custom POI and you can certainly use BMP images to associate with those POI and have them display on the unit. The 130 can also do this but again, you will only be able to display up to 10 at a time.

3. Never had this issue with a 9980 or 130 and don't really understand the question.

Lastly, the reason I say you don't want the Z for custom POI is because the PC app needed to use for POI is absolute garbage and doesn't work very well. And because there is such a limit on the amount of custom POI the unit will allow and limit of only 10 categories for onboard and custom POI to be displayed at one time. You can do much more with custom POI with the Kenwood unit.

I have used the Garmin POI loader, but have been unable to make the bitmaps for custom POIs show up on my unit, even though when I load the same poi file into my Garmin Zumo they show up fine.

Can .bmps be uploaded to the 130 as icons with custom POIs?

When you are driving down the road, do POIs show up on your Map on the 130?

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Garmin POI loader, but have been unable to make the bitmaps for custom POIs show up on my unit, even though when I load the same poi file into my Garmin Zumo they show up fine.

Can .bmps be uploaded to the 130 as icons with custom POIs?

When you are driving down the road, do POIs show up on your Map on the 130?

Dan

Yes, you can create custom POI icons and have them show on the map while you're driving (at least on the 120). One significant shortcoming, however, is that your icon will apply to the entire list of waypoints in your file. You cannot assign different icons to different POIs within the same file.