AVIC411.com

is using Pandora or the motion X GPS consider Tethering?

Hey Everyone,

I have a question maybe anyone of you might've experienced with your carrier or such.

Anyways ATT been sending me "tethering letters" and threaten me that they will change my plan to the 2GB with tether for like $45 while

I had my unlimited plan since the iphone 2g few years ago for $30.

I'm really upset to hear and just wanted to know if its possible if the AppRadio could signal a "tether" since

I do understand that the App Radio navigation is more based on the iPhone and just projects a monitor but

for some reason ATT keeps threatening me regarding "tethering" when I tell them I'm pretty sure aren't connecting it to a laptop or desktop computer.

Since Pandora & motion X GPS uses the 3G / Internet, I wanted to know if anyone knows if this is consider "tethering" since everything is really based

off the iPhone and not the Navigation.

Thanks.

I've worked in the wireless industry as an engineer for 14 years; I don't think this qualifies as tethering. Tethering implies that you are using your phone to provide an internet data connection to an application running on another device. In this case, the appradio is being used as a remote control for applications running on your phone. So I think you are safe.

That said, AT&T is most likely coming after you because of the amount of data you are using and assuming it's because of tethering. They could look at what you are actually doing and probably see that it is not tethering, but frankly it's too hard to police accurately. The reality is that unlimited plans have never really been unlimited if you read your TOS. It sucks, but unfortuantely bandwidth costs real money and certain users are too expensive for carriers to keep. Not trying to be mean here, it's just the way it is.

This has been a big topic of discussion within the jailbreaking world, and from what's been discussed it seems this letter goes out to anyone with high data usage in hopes of getting you to switch to their pricey tethering plan. It's believed they have no way of telling whether you're tethered or not. I tether occassionally with MyWi and never gotten this letter.

Also, from what I gather, the letter is an empty threat, and that there aren't any reported cases of people being changed against their will.

To follow up with what PJ said, no, the appradio apps do not qualify as "tethering".

Nothing you do with the App Radio is considered "tethering." And as others have noted, this letter is likely an empty threat. That being said, I tether my iPad to my i4 every time I get into my car and have never received this letter. I also usually stay under the assumed 5 gig a month cap that it is speculated triggers the alert to AT&T. It certainly sounds like you are doing more then just Pandora and Motion if you are getting these letters. If not, I would assure them you are not and if they persist tell them they must prove that you are in violation.

I barely use 1GB a month since I use wifi at school and at home since its way faster.The most was around 1.5GB/month however I never tether on to another desktop nor laptop.

I just stopped using "Pandora" with AppRadio ever since I got that letter since I was afraid that was the reason but thank you for clarifying and I will begin to use it again with my AppRadio.

I do however browse on my phone, watch netflix on my phone, and small youtube clips.

I don't really download anything else besides cydia apps.

Even if they do know you are jailbroken, and they likely do, it still doesn't fall under tethering.

Agree. I was just wondering more to keep track of what AT&T is nefariously doing. This is clearly not tethering, but to cut corners I bet the AT&T engineers simply check if you are jailbroken and then see if you approach a gig or more of data and then look to see if you have an unlimited plan and just surmise that you are tethering, even though you are not. Anyway for them to get out of these costly unlimited data contracts.

Sorry for the delay :)

It is a jailbroken phone however like I mentioned I never tether with a desktop / laptop before since I have faster speed at home anyways.

I only use about 1 - 1.5GB / month since I do stream netflix when I'm out sometimes or downloading games from installous or cydia.

youtube, facebook, and general web browsing.

I don't think ATT really knows if your jailbroken or not or they can't "assume" you are since they would ask me and I would just tell them it isn't and don't know how to.

However, it would be surprising if they did. I believe there are some apps that might trigger a "tether" alert .. possibly.