AVIC411.com

Why must you ground the parking brake?

I don't have a D2 yet, but I'm considering buying one. I've read a lot here about the bypass, and every thing I read says that you must ground the parking brake, which I assum will cause my brake light to be on all the time. Being that the brake light is also the indicator for a problem with your brake system, I feel that this is a dangerous trade off.

None of the tutorials address the matter of why you must ground the brake. I can't imagine that nissan put any special wires in their car just for this head unit, so isn't there another wire that can be grounded to the same effect? Something going into the head unit perhaps?

How does the head unit know whether the brake is on or not? How would it know on a car built in 1995 long before this head unit existed? I'm sure the radio isn't hooked up to the ECM, or any other item that would send it information about the status of the brake, so I can only assume that it knows because the brake wire is somehow connected to the unit. If that is the case, why not just disconnect it and ground the wire coming out of the unit for the same effect?

I'm really confused about this, and it IS the one factor that is preventing me from buying this unit right now. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

when they say ground the parking brake, that means the parking brake wire of the head unit NOT the car. you actually dont have to connect to the car and ground, you can pick one. if you ground the head unit only, it wont cause the light to come on. that ground is the signal telling the avic that you are parked.. err one of the signals anyways.

If that is the case, why not just disconnect it and ground the wire coming out of the unit for the same effect?

Thats exactly what you do.

Thanks guys, I had assumed that to be the case but kept reading it like I was supposed to ground the actual parking brake indicator.

I'll probably buy one of these now.

thats cool, i knew an guy who just started as an installer when asked to find which wires were hot behind the stereo, came back in 5 minutes and said " i touched em all and they felt the same"

/smacks head and rolls eyes.

you know, maybe a new thread with these "stories" would be good/funny

I have done just about squat today. Loaded a couple performance programmers, bolted a gun case into a fed vehicle, and that's about it. It's a gorgeous day here, I think everybody called in sick and went to the beach except me. Well, at least it's beer:45 ....... :D

What can I say. My boss knows I can do it so I'm bascially screwed. Oh and we're not talking about civics in case jimmy303 decides to bring in his "smart-assy-ness" :)

06 Altima

05 4runner

99 Cabrio <- This thing F%^KING SUCKED ALOT

05 Galant.

4 fun cars and 9 hours to do them....