AVIC411.com

Z110BT bypass not working

So, I got my Z110BT a couple of years ago and got a messed up system install by an unscrupolous audio installer. I drove around with a jacked up audio system and I was finally able to get it installed properly. The original installer claimed that he had done the by pass but it wasn't working properly and I wasn't going to drive an hour and a half to have it fixed anytime soon. Anywho, this new audio installation comapany I went to had to gut my system and start from scratch. However when they went to do the bypass, it wouldn't work. I directed them to your website and they followed your instructions to the letter as well viewed a few youtube videos tomake sure they got it right. Well it wouldn't work. They told me that the head unit itself had probably been damaged by the last guy. They told me that that the connector on the head units harness probably got damaged because they saw what looked like some filng.

They want me to bring it by so they can have another go at it at no charge. What I'd like to know is if the first installer could have really damaged something which could make doing the bypass almost impossible

I doubt that the head unit was damaged (assuming everything else works), but it would be possible to screw-up the harness enough that the moved pin didn't make contact. Proper seating seems to be the biggest problem with the bypass. You could probably buy a new harness off ebay.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the harness would you? Also, it it possible that the connector on the head unit got fried?

This one looks right - http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a6ad7f646

You might want to take a good look at the connector on the chassis (like for damage). Hard to tell for sure whether anything is fried, but if everything but the PB sensor is working, it isn't likely. The PB circuit can handle + or - 12v, so even if it was hooked up with reverse polarity, it couldn't damage anything.

what kind of damage should I be looking for on the wire harness? please keep in mind that I am car audio ignorant lol.

Other than assuring that the connector (male & female) seats completely and evenly, the only part of the harness you need to worry about is the moved Mute (yellow & black) wire. Make sure it seats all the way into the connector and is not loose. Make sure the conductor in the wire wasn't accidently broken where it is crimped to the pin. Look for signs of a repair to the wire. Look for stripped insulation on that wire.

Also, with the connector removed, do a continuity test (such as a multi-meter) using a probe (or small wire) stuck into the connector (at the pin position) and the other probe touching ground. It must register continuity.

I am assuming you have viewed one or more of the instruction videos on You Tube that show exactly which pin to move and how to do it. Your installer might not of done it correctly. Some think it works just like the other Pioneer models, but it is different. Make sure that the actual Parking Brake wire (light green) is also grounded. Many people just connect the Mute and PB wire together and then run them to ground.