AVIC411.com

No night mode on x930bt

Hi!

Ihad an AVI-x930bt installed in our 2004 Honda Civic yesterday. However, last night I noticed that it refused to go into night mode using the automatic settings (and we can't find a manual toggle on the unit to do it). When I went through the manual, I discovered these passages:

"You can change the colors of a map between daytime and nighttime according to whether the vehicle lights are on or off"

"To use this function with "Automatic", the orange/white lead of the navigation system must be connected correctly."

Does that mean that the lead is not hooked up correctly? I asked my installer and this is what I was told:

"the Orange/white wire in the pioneer unit was hooked up. Anytime I install a aftermarket unit, I always hook up that wire. There is a orange and white on the other harness as well that I connect to the orange and white on your pioneer harness[harness came from crutchfield]. Most of the time that wire is for the dimmer lights. Maybe for that pioneer unit, it needs to be hooked up another way. I've never had this happen. I will contact pioneer and see what they say."

I noticed that it refused to go into night mode using the automatic settings (and we can't find a manual toggle on the unit to do it).

I have the x930bt installed in both of my trucks. Both have the same exact problem. Only options are Automatic/Day. No night mode. I have the orange and white dimmer hooked up to the dimmer wire for both vehicles. Very strange issue. What makes it even stranger....in one of my trucks, the manual dimmer option on the unit doesn't dim the screen. In my other truck it does which is very confusing

• 2 weeks later...

I just found what i think is a Secretary short cut menu

you hold the button under the volume knob in for a few seconds and another little screen will pop up it will then give you options to dimm or brighten the screan manualy

but you do have to have the orange wire hooked up to have it dimm

from what i have learned from reading info and all

is that unless your factory radio had a dim option wich means there would be a wire going from you car radi harness pinned ot the OEM connector

you need to find that and tap into it

unless you use a harness

but if you don't have the option to dimm your factory OEM HU then you really don't have much luck with setting it up

without taking the chance of blowing something out

if you run it directly to the headlamp switch i have read you could blow your fuses or even worst fry something on the switch the headlamps or the HU itself

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. My truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra. I bought from Crutchfield and they have a great tech support system. I was told some vehicles do and some don't have a 12 volt current through the orange/white wire in the vehicle harness. My truck does not. You need to attach the orange/white wire from the head unit to a wire that is hot only when the headlights are on. I did and now the night screen works at night, or when the lights are on. Still turn your selection to automatic in the head unit.

I bought a used car with this head unit, I've been trying to figure this out for the past week... Only Day/Automatic and I can't even do a manual toggle....

you might want to pull the HU and see if the Orange - white wire is connector to anything if its not then you need to find the Ilumination wire on your cars harness if it has one and connect it to the orange white wire on the Pioneer harness

its possible your car does not have i tthen you can try the above way of doing it but from what i have heard is if you run a wire to the headlamp switch on its own you can end up shorting something out and that might fry something in the HU so i don't know if i would do that

the button right under the multi purpose knob i forget weather that is the home or the menu button but if you hold it in for a few seconds it will bring up a screan that will let you manualy dimm the HU and change the color tones

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. My truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra. I bought from Crutchfield and they have a great tech support system. I was told some vehicles do and some don't have a 12 volt current through the orange/white wire in the vehicle harness. My truck does not. You need to attach the orange/white wire from the head unit to a wire that is hot only when the headlights are on. I did and now the night screen works at night, or when the lights are on. Still turn your selection to automatic in the head unit.

I have an '04 Silverado. Which wire did you hook up to?

I don't know if it is numbered or not. I installed the cab lights from recon. I got onto dieselplace.com and did a wire hook up search for adding these lights. There is a pin on the right side of the dash under the triangular cover that the factory cab lights harness would plug into if you had factory cab lights. If I remember it was the lower right pin. It would be easy to tell. Take a 12 volt test light and have someone turn your lights on and off. The test light will also go on and off. Do this with the interior/dash light dimmer switch rolled down to the off position. One of these pins is connected to this switch. You want the one that is on only when the lights are on.

One of the guys here advises against doing this. Crutchfield, who sold me the AVIC-X930 told me where to connect it. He said this was the best alternative for this vehicle as it does not provide this option through the wiring harness. The wire is not hot when the lights are out and hot when they are on. If you can not find it let me know in this forum and I will take a picture of the connection with my phone and send it to you. We will decide at that time the best way to contact each other.

I don't have cab lights. The harness is on the passenger side? Are you referring to the kick panel? Pictures would help a ton. I'll send you a PM with my email.

I have a good pic. You have two triangle shape removable panels. One on the left and one on the right ends of the dash. The left has fuses and the right has various harness plug ins. I will look for you PM.

im just throwing this out there to anyone with this problem,just because the wire is hooked up doesnt mean that it is going to work. a lot of newer cars no longer use a standard 12v illum wire in the radio harness, but the car may still use the same aftermarket harness as a car that does have the correct wire. these new radio systems get information through the cars data bus, and know when the lights are turned on, if you have a car that does get its dimmer info from the CAN bus system, and you are not using a data module for the wire harness, then you will need to tap the avic's illum wire in to a dash light somewhere, like an ash tray light for instance.