AVIC411.com

Pioneer just screwed me

I have an AVIC-F700BT unit I bought new about 3 years ago. This unit has been running great with zero problems. Two weeks ago I decided to update to the latest software/firmware and mapping from 2010. I bought and paid 119.99 from Crutchfield, got it three days later and installed it. I did everything to the letter. Install went perfect and at the end it asked if I wanted to keep the same splash screen I pushed yes. It then said the install was successful and the system would reboot. It never did! It comes up to the splash screen then stops. I let it set for 30 minutes and it never fully rebooted. I even tried to re-install the update hoping this would prompt a response like "system has the latest update" or something of this nature. I called Pioneer and got tech assistance on the line and the had me try a couple things like reset and such, nothing worked. I was advised to send it in and a software re-install would be $70. I told the person it was their update that stopped my unit from working and I was advised to send it anyway with a letter of explanation. I did and was contacted the same day they got the unit with a request for $230. I just called and talk to someone and they are holding their ground. This unit is worth more than $230 to me but I can't afford to dump that kind of money into a 3 year old radio/gps. I asked them to send it back. I feel screwed...

Has anyone used the repair service on ebay? If so does it work or is it a scam? The discription of the problem it fixes fall under the problem I have. "Unit freezes at splash screen"

HELP! somebody help!

• 1 month later...

Hey buddy, you're not alone. Pioneer's support is infamously effed up. I paid $120 for a complete reset and upgrade of my software OS to 3.0x from a place called Turbo Tunes:

Steve Karner

Car Audio Sales & Service

16166 Lake Michigan Dr

West Olive, MI 49460

(419)-341-3712 (M-F 9AM-7PM EST

smkarner@mtu.edu

www.turbotunes.com

They were fast and the thing works like new again.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem as you on the 700bt.My avic 700bt was running fine for two years and decided to call pioneer and get their free update. After reading all the forums about pioneer updates, i realize that im not alone like the pioneer service tech told me i was about having problems i had with their update they mailed me.When i installed the update , everything went fine until i shut it off and got in it the next day and the starting up process was locked on my screen and then this windows looking thing came across the screen and said ezrider has performed an illegal act, then it would boot on and off every three minutes the whole time i was driving.I called pioneer and they said send it in for a flat rate of 230.00.I ended up going on ebay and buying a repair for the avics for 27.00 and everything works better than new now.The heck with pioneer,i think there is some kind of scam going on.I just wanted to write and tell people about the great fix for the avic repair on ebay! The name of the guys store in ebay is Kofat. I hope this helps everyone, i just felt very compelled to write this after talking to pioneer and they blew me off!