AVIC411.com

Test AVIC before installation

Hey, i have a quick question. I was wondering what could i buy to demo test or just power up my avic before i installed it into my camaro. SInce I'm waiting on a custom double din kit, i at least wanted to see if it worked and play around with it in my home before i installed it so i wanted to know what wires i could purchase or anything to just test it out? Thanks in advance and i hope for a quick response so i can go out tomorrow morning and pick whatever i need up so i can start using this beast. I have a z110bt btw!

I bench-tested mine, in my garage. That was because this thing needs 12VDC - about 10AMPs. You probably don't have a power supply lying around that can produce 10 AMPs. I used my car battery and a long lamp cord to power up the HU, and connected the stereo line-out jacks to a small radio that had AUX input jacks. Connect both the red and yellow to the + lead, and the black to the - (ground). Also grounding the HU

would be a good idea.

Another advantage is you can perform and test the bypass (in fact, you will need to bypass the PB in order to test all the HU functions) before installing in the car. It is a real pain to track-down loose connections afterward. The moved Mute pin is usually the problem (not seated fully) with by-pass not working.

Warning: be extra careful about shorting out any of the loose wires. That includes all the speaker wires and sensor leads.

so in all, i would have to go out and buy a power supply that can produce 10 amps and what else? I'm just curious to how they have them set up in stores to demo, i need to go the same route like that so i can just test it out and see if it powers up and all that.

They probably do similar that I described - although it is a permanent display, not just a temp test, so they probably have a nice power supply, amp, and speaker setup.

10 AMPS @ 12V is only 120watts, so you might have an old wall-wart or charger that can handle it -BUT Make sure it outputs between 10.8-15.1V DC. A car battery charger (not a trickle/tender) should do it too. Just be careful with the cables and clamps/connector and wires. It would be a very smart idea to wire-in a 10A fuse too. You can get an in-line fuse holder @ Radio Shack or any car parts store.

If you have some auto speakers you could connect them to the AVIC harness instead of using the line-out RCA. All depends on what you have to work with. But I wouldn't go out and buy anything fancy just play with the HU.

• 3 months later...