AVIC411.com

Z110BT reboots repeatedly after map update

Hello,

I just updated FW from 1.000 to 1.0001 and then updated the maps with CNSD-110FM. I used the Shortfuse crack on the FW and everything seemed to work fine until the map update was at 90%, the accessory mode on my car timed out and shut off the HU. I quickly hit accessory mode again and the update seemed to pick right back up and complete. When it finished, it rebooted, the screen went blank for a few seconds, then it started rebooting repeatedly. I checked the battery and it's fine. Car starts right up, no problem, so it's getting enough current. Please tell me I may not have bricked it!

Help! :-(

Yeah, sounds like it's hosed. Do you get the Splash screen or any text before it reboots?

If so, at least the boot-loader works. Then it would likely be crashing in the WinCE or the Pioneer application. So you might be able to install the CNSD-210FM upgrade by first booting an SD with the ShortFuse 2.004 Hack. If that loads, just proceed with the CNSD-210BT upgrade. As long as the corrupted files are part of the upgrade, you should be good.

Otherwise, your only recourse is to try booting into TestMode. From there you may be able to restore from the backup partition. From the factory, there are 2 identical program partitions (NAND/PRG0 & NAND/PRG1). I believe the updates only write to the 1st one. Sorry, I have never done this, so I can't walk you through. Search around for the forums for the term testmode and you should find some info. If you find someone who seems to know what their talking about (i.e. not Me) then you might PM them to ask for help.

If you can't get into testmode, you'll just have to send the unit in for repair. It'll cost a couple hundred $$$ because I doubt any warranty would cover problems loading bootleg software.

Good luck. BTW, it hasn't been pointed out in a long time, but as a warning to others - ALWAYS load updates with the ignition in the Accessory position. If your car battery is weak, also use a charger to keep it from draining. An alternative would be to do it with the engine running (outside).

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

It doesn't display a splash screen or anything. The button backlight stays on white, the screen lights black, then goes dark, then lights, then dark.

I'll look around more for testmode, but all I've seen thus far is the sticky saying the Z series doesn't have one. When I get home tonight, I'll also try to do the FW update.

My car has push button start and push button ACC mode. I said before that the battery was fine (for brevity). I normally have no problem with the battery, but I'd inadvertently left the map light on the night before and didn't realize it, so the battery was weak when I started the whole process. It finally got weak enough to cause ACC mode to shut off at a very inopportune moment. :angry: At that point, I got out the charger and got that going, so the HU maintained power.

I sure hope I can recover without having to pull it and send it in... I've always done my own car audio work until I got this car. It's going to be a huge pain to get the unit out and back into the console of this car... :unsure:

See this thread . http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31534-condis-hackmode-v14-diskrw-gpsgate-textfiller-regeditor-with-reg-files-associated-updated-13062011/page__st__30

In your case, the problem might be that the HU bootloader needs to be functional. Basically, you need to boot off a specially prepared SD. This will put you into "HackMode"

From there you can copy/paste files on you HU's NAND (memory).

Can you open the display to get to the SD slot? I think it is possible to open it up by holding the eject button at power-up.

Oh sweet, thanks man! I was scrolling through tons and tons of "testmode" search results. It might have been awhile before I stumbled across this.

Yes, I can get it to open by holding the eject button for a few seconds. So, I'll pull down the Hackmode file and give it a try when I get back home.

Thanks again!

Well, I put the Condi Hackmode files/folders on an SD and inserted. It didn't help :-(. At power up, the screen lights up for about 1.5 seconds, then goes dark for 1.5 seconds, then repeats. It doesn't make it to splash screen. I'm reformatting another SD card in FAT now and will try that one. I'll also try a USB flash drive, though I don't have much confidence that either will work. So, it's looking like I will have to send it to Pioneer, huh? :-(

This exact same issue happened to me with my old Pioneer F910BT after updating it. I could find no way to fix it. It had to go back to Pioneer to be fixed for $250. So I just sold the unit on Craigslist for a hundred bucks. Sorry to hear yours did it too. I've yet to update my new unit with the Z130 update for fear it might happen again. I was hoping Pioneer would have fixed the update process to avoid such issues with the Z units but it looks like that is expecting too much form them. Sucks

• 10 months later...

The only chance you might have to fix it is to be able to boot into TestMode. Download SuperTestMode.zip from here -> http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/35253-advanced-puzzles-testmodekey-scriptexecini/ extract TestMode.key, put it on an SD and insert it. If something "new" happens report the results and we'll see what ideas we can come up with to recover.

To do so, we'll need to know exactly how you got in this jam - what hardware model and the software version you had before this happened.

If you can't get into TestMode, there's probably nothing that can be done except pay Pioneer to fix it.

Thanks Ron! I had tried to get into Testmode without luck prior to my post and also tride the condi hack without luck...

I was doing the update to Z140BH when the unit lost power. I talked to Pioneer and know it can be fixed there are also a handful of people on Ebay that can fix it and have fixed it for ranging prices. I have not found someone local in NC sadly and really dont want to ship the unit. If Ebay sellers that sell all sorts of crap looking at the history for them can fix this issue I have to believe someone on her would have an idea! Everyone I have talked to has said it is a simple fix and just a software corruption issue but HOW do I get into that is the question?

as Ron said, if it wont go into testmode, then the windows ce image is hosed up. The only likely way then is to JTAG, which nobody has done or documented how to yet to my knowledge.

You can try to email/message some of those "service" sellers on ebay to see if they feel like they might be able to fix your problem -- make sure to mention that it wont boot into testmode -- and see which ones are confident they can fix it.

I'm not trying to discourage you -- it's just that what it sounds like happened to your unit is not easy to recover from, in a simple way.

That might have been a stupid question just thought I would work it out just in case... I doubt it makes a difference. So two other questions not so dumb... First is I notice on the Condi hack he has it USB able. How is this done? Second would be on the JTAG, I have access to one but not sure where or even what cable would be needed... ideas? Also ideas on the software needed for JTAG?

Thanks Ron! I had tried to get into Testmode without luck prior to my post and also tride the condi hack without luck...

I was doing the update to Z140BH when the unit lost power. I talked to Pioneer and know it can be fixed there are also a handful of people on Ebay that can fix it and have fixed it for ranging prices. I have not found someone local in NC sadly and really dont want to ship the unit. If Ebay sellers that sell all sorts of crap looking at the history for them can fix this issue I have to believe someone on her would have an idea! Everyone I have talked to has said it is a simple fix and just a software corruption issue but HOW do I get into that is the question?

When you say the unit lost power, do you mean the battery died? I am experiencing the same problem, has anyone gotten it fixed yet?