AVIC411.com

AVIC-N1 Mod question.

Question for all the AVIC gurus. I have a N1 that just returned from Pioneer and they replaced the main board and flex cable. Now I have no mod on it. Is it possible to cut the bottom case to access the solder points? I figure there would be less risk to damage the flex cables or the screen assembly. If anyone can draw on a picture of the bottom case where the solder points are I am willing to use my Dremel to cut out that part of the case. Any advice is welcome, and I am not worried about the warranty issue since Pioneer has already done the one time flex cable upgrade and I just shelled out $200 bucks for the replacement main board plus the original cost of the mod. Thanks guys!

You might seriously want to consider taking the unit apart. Using a dremel that close to the main board is not a good idea. If for nothing more than the fact the dremel is going to through ALOT of metal shavings into the casing. Metal shavings + circuit board = very bad things.

The fine dust will probably really f**k up your AVIC, so NOT a good idea. Please just find a service manual and follow the correct disassembly-reassembly procedure. We will give you a rash of sh*t if your next post is, "Help! Did the bypass on my N1/N2 and now my unit is doing strange things!!!!"

henrycc......... jimmy303 is 100% right. There is no short cut if you want it done right you'll have to follow the N1 mod procedure that has been listed here countless times.

I did the mod on my N1 and when I opened up my unit and saw how fine the contacts were I almost put everything back together but I went that far and I can solder so I dove in with fingers crossed and everything worked out OK. I don't think I would ever do that again, though.

Good luck,

bcd1

The traces on that mother-board are so fine and close together (there are a ridiculous amount of near microscopic SMT devices on it) that just the metal dust you think you may raise while cutting the case will cause some problems, not to mention, if you happen to just touch the board with the Dremel, you would cut through a buttload (industry term) of traces, and, since the AVIC uses a multi-layer board, it may end up unrepairable. Then comes the cussing and screaming and throwing then drinking.

Hi group,

Im new here also. i bought a used N1 last night and hooked it all up. I did NOT have to ground the parking brake wire at all but I can play movies, do nav, everything. ok, so 2 questions:

1) Does that mean It has a "hard" mod

2) When i Upgrade to the 60M discs, will that affect the current "hard" mod if thats what it is?

Thanks