AVIC411.com

Few nav. related D1 questions

Hey all, a bit new here so bear with me! I have enjoyed going through these forums thus far and they have helped me a LOT. Here's the scenario, I have a used AVIC-D1 installed on an 05 Saab 9-2x. The installation was done by myself at home. VSS and reverse wire connections are NOT made (I got lazy :( ) The parking brake mod is done and works fine. The antenna did not come with the part to actually attach it, so it's kinda dangling at the moment. My question is 1) Can I get a replacement antenna booster (?) from somewhere to actually mount the antenna on my windshield? and 2) My nav is a bit flakey at the moment (I reset the system after installation and all that) Sometimes it works great, sometimes it has my car going all over the place and nowhere near where it really is. I know this is partly to blame for not connecting the VSS. Would mounting the antenna properly help this significantly, or do I HAVE to connect the VSS?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. Cheers!

the vss is only going to cause about 3 feet variance on the map. placing the ant? I am guessing your talking about the gps ant.? if so, you want to make sure that it has a nice line of sight of the sky, not hitting say a metal panel on its way.

the vss is only going to cause about 3 feet variance on the map. placing the ant? I am guessing your talking about the gps ant.? if so, you want to make sure that it has a nice line of sight of the sky, not hitting say a metal panel on its way.

Considering we have basically the same car (per your sig at least), where did you mount your antenna? What does this extra piece of mounting equipment (which I do not have) do? Is it a signal booster, or only something adhesive to mount the antenna? Thanks again!

I placed the ant.'s under the center of the dash, where the square panel can be removed, its plastic. For optimal signal though you would want to go outside or on top of the dash, but again I went under the plastic panel and I have no problems. I dont know what extra piece your talking about.

What do you mean the antenna didn't come with the part to attach it? Do you mean the square magentic pad? Having the antenna touching metal/square pad will definitely effect navigation accuracy

yup, that's exactly the part i mean. since i bought it used, it didn't come provided. Can I purchase that somewhere else?