AVIC411.com

X940BT and External Storage

Hey everyone!! New to the forum.. I have a X940BT on the way in the mail and I have a couple questions. I coming from a CarPC to this. The biggest advantage in the CarPC, for me, was the ability to have a ton of music stored on my SSD. So, I'm looking for a way to have the same capability on the X940BT but I see there are some limitations to what it can handle via USB and MicroSD. So, here we go:

1. I have a 80GB SSD drive I can put in an enclosure. Since it looks like 16GB is the max, this is pretty much useless, right?

2. Instead of using only 16GB of the SSD, would I be better off just getting a 16GB MicroSD and save on the extra wiring?

3. I'm an Android phone user, but, I do have a 32GB iPhone 3GS available that has been deactivated. If I decide to use that for music storage, can I still control the Android phone with Pandora and Aha, or, can I only use one phone or the other?

Ideally, it looks like using the 3GS for music storage and the Android for streaming is the best option for the most storage.

Any input would be appreciated!

Edit: Also, my Android has 32GB of storage but I couldn't find anywhere that the music library can be controlled like the iPhone can. Am I wrong?

do yourself a favor, buy an IPOD, all the storage space you will need, AND the interface is great as opposed to piss poor interface used for SD and USB where you have to find music based on folder structure.

Limit for memory stick, microsd ect is 2500 files 350 folders so 80gb would be too much.

I use a 32gb card that currently has 27gb used by 2200 songs, 90 music videos, 30 misc short videos and 11 full movies.

Everything is well organized and easy to find to listen/watch. There is another thread on organizing music.

3gs would be a nice option but don't know if you could use the two phones at the same time...

• 2 months later...

Limit for memory stick, microsd ect is 2500 files 350 folders so 80gb would be too much.

I use a 32gb card that currently has 27gb used by 2200 songs, 90 music videos, 30 misc short videos and 11 full movies.

Everything is well organized and easy to find to listen/watch. There is another thread on organizing music.

3gs would be a nice option but don't know if you could use the two phones at the same time...

Hi zx6rrdan,

Can you share any tips for organizing stuff on a microSD? At the moment, I have just music mp3s organized by artist and album - the default organization that Realplayer makes. I plan on making directories that would act as playlists. Somewhere I saw the order it plays music but I've lost it (other than ordered by date/time...

Anyway, any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!

I've been organizing my music files for years in an easy to follow directory structure, I'm so used to it that I actually find ipod searching annoying.

I use a structure of genre/artist/album and have all of my music named in the same convention of track# - title.

I know what music I have, and it's easy to find this article way, you just have to take the time, and potentially a lot of it, to get all of your files organized.

Cheers

- Video and music on card

- I structured my files into folders by artist abc - defg - ect... creating enough folders to fill the screen without scrolling making for very easy fast access

- Video I sorted by type rather title, Movie, Bike Video, Muisc video ect...

Here's the tree structure I'm using

----Music

----ab

----cde

----fghijk

----lmno

----pqrstuvwyxz

----Pictures

----Video

----Bike Videos

----Movies

----Music Videos

----ab

----cde

----fghijk

----lmnop

----qrs

----tuvwxyz

----Music Vids Unsorted

Bascially allows quick pick without scrolling sorted by artist. The 1 directory in music is my favorites so I have them in one place.

The order the deck displays / plays is the order of the FAT table aka order it was copied onto the card. I use that make order I want to play.

One thing that bugged me was when I wanted certain directories to be alphabetic and then I added a new artist and it showed last instead of the proper alphabetic order. I found a fix for that using a FAT table sorter

Here's a link about the sorter http://avic411.com/i...__fromsearch__1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...