AVIC411.com

Data.zip editing help

Figured this out!! It is in post #6 below Thanks!

Hi all,

Could anybody that knows possibly post a tutorial on how to properly edit a Data.zip file? I have been searching for the answer to this for over 3 years. Do we unzip then edit and rezip? Do we edit while zipped? What program should we be using? And so on. If someone has seen a post that lays this out in newbie terms please post a link! Thank you!

what do you plan on doing in there? Do you plan to do/write your own mods?

There is tons of info on this, forget using the search feature for this.

Instead go back to the oldest posts and read. I would suggest reading in finished mods first... this is where you will get most the info. I just took about 5 mins and found lots of my old posts both questions and answers in the area around summer of 2009. Lots of info back deep in the forum thread history.

Use 7zip and be in windows for best results in the beginning. Daftia does well working with a mac but most find success in windows using 7zip (thats the system that the avic has on it for compressing and opening files).

Ok I finally got it to work! For anyone that is wondering:

Leave the Data.zip zipped.

Copy the File you want to edit to the desktop.

Edit the file with notepad and save it.

Drag and drop the edited file into the exact place you copied it from in the data.zip.

Thats it, it should work fine!

what do you plan on doing in there? Do you plan to do/write your own mods? There is tons of info on this, forget using the search feature for this. Instead go back to the oldest posts and read. I would suggest reading in finished mods first... this is where you will get most the info. I just took about 5 mins and found lots of my old posts both questions and answers in the area around summer of 2009. Lots of info back deep in the forum thread history. Use 7zip and be in windows for best results in the beginning. Daftia does well working with a mac but most find success in windows using 7zip (thats the system that the avic has on it for compressing and opening files).

Thanks, I think I have read 90% of the Hacks/Mods Threads but for some reason 7zip/winrar/regular zipping has never worked for me. the post above outlines exactly what i did to get it to work. Chuck88 had edited a file for me, changing some menu lettering from green to white, I have since lost the data.zip that was modded and I didn't want to ask for someone else to do it for me again. I would just rather learn and do it myself. most of the people on this forum have been so helpful over the years and I have learned so much, it was just time for me to figure this stuff out. Some of the wording on the "how to" posts is confusing for people that are not coders, I do not have any formal training with this stuff so it has been a process of elimination for me. I appreciate all the help I have gotten through the years!