AVIC411.com

usb input replacement on F700BT

Hi:

I'm a new member, who bought a used F700bt and i have discovered that the usb input is missing.

I didn't even notice this when i looked at the unit to buy it as i had no previous knowledge of these units.

I was honestly overwhelmed by all the wiring and plugs and didn't see it.

After having installed the unit myself in my honda civic everything is working with the exception of the usb input of course, which i would like to repair.

Has anyone done this? Is the repair something a capable, sensible person could do on his own?

I didn't want to dive in without asking first, but i'm the kind of person that i'm not afraid to try it

Thanks in advance for any help and/or info

Rick

Download the service manual for the unit from 4shared.com. It is called

pioneer avic-f700bt_xs_uc_ew5 f7010bt_xs_uc service manual (crt4157)

It looks like the USB cable simply plugs in to a board and not much disassembly is needed.

Thanks for your help, i downloaded the manual and found the usb cable at PacParts.com for $27.95.

It appears I'll have to reuse whatever plug is used on circuit board inside unit as cable just has loose ends.

If anyone is aware of a cable that would just be a direct plug in to circuit board, please let me know.

DougG thanks again for your help, its nice to have a resource like this site to help the less informed like myself.

I really do appreciate your response

You can take the aviv apart and see where it plugs into. Mine became unplugged during a switch from car to car, I took apart the unit then you have to remove the optical drive and there is a small 4 pin connector it plugs into. My understanding is you can buy a USB extender and a 4 pin connected and splice the oppropriate wires. I believe I took some pictures of my USB reconnection but I am not sure where they are. I doubt you will find an actual replacement part.

I found the actual pioneer part, part number CDE8561 at pioneerparts.com. The pic seems to show a connector on the end that goes into the unit, but who knows how accurate the pic is. I ordered this part, so we shall see.Thanks for your input Tail24, i was wondering how far i would have to get into unit to swap cable out. Looking at service manual i was hoping i wouldn't have to go too far. I really appreciate everyones input, it is very helpful

It's actually pretty easy... You need some long like glasses/computer screw drivers. The avic like splits in half, then you need to remove cd drive. Then cable plugs in to a little 4 pin connector on the side... From what I remember there wasn't much room to maneuver in there to plug it in. Make sure it's all the way inserted otherwise you will get wacky connections. Good luck

Well i received the usb cable i ordered from pioneer today

What do you know, it has the plug that plugs into circuit board inside head unit

I'm glad to see that

The cable was priced about the same as a cable with just loose end, but by the time they tack on their over the top shipping and handling charges its pricey

Anyway i thought i should let you know in case anyone else wants to go this route.

I'll post my results once i install it, hope to this week end

I'm back

Good news, repair made, unit back in car and functioning as it should

:-P

About 1 to 1-1/2 hour job including removing and replacing unit in car

I'm very happy!!!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me, i couldn't have done it without your help

The pioneer cable made it very easy, hardest part was getting end of cable into unit because it had the connector on the end

Requires further disassembly than i thought, i managed to loosen screws on back of unit and create a gap between back and side panels and fish the wire thru.

This saved further disassembly

this is not a hard thing to do if anyone needs to do this repair

By the way the plug that goes on circut board is a 5 pin plug, not a 4

Once again thanks to all who gave me info, u guys are great!!!!!

If i can help anyone who is thinking of doing this , let me know

Rick