AVIC411.com

hey guys, new here

i was referred to this forum from caraudio forums because i was interested in completely redoing my whole entires car audio system. Right now im basically using an fm transmitter to send music from my ipod to my crap stock headunit that has no cd or cassette changer....this is for a 1996 honda civic hatchback dx....if your interested in taking a look, i do some photography on the side at http://www.xandt.com/ just to show you the car im working with, its the silver (vsm) hatch.

Anyways...I really didnt want to do a basic headunit, ipod adapter, and sirius satellite radio kind of deal...I wanted something to really spice up my car and I was looking at the AVIC's, in the past i always thought they were way to expensive, like close to 2 grand and that was just too much for me...but now that i see them on ebay and a few places shown on bizrate around 1k-1.2k im beginning to think this option is much more viable.

I have been doing a few searchs on these forums so I am not too out of place but I also have a few questions that were not really answered from just searchs.

Starting with...

1. How is installation? with the exception of having to tap into the VSS wire (blue/white for 96 honda civic, found just below the TB)

2. What else is needed to install this headunit? is it pretty basic using just the proper harness and dash kit? I forgot about the brain....but as far as wiring the whole system together is it pretty much plug and play AFTER the VSS wire deal?

3. I was planning on buying the headunit off of eBay and was wondering if anyone has done the same and can recommend a seller on their so that i do not run into a scammer.

4. Is the VSS absolutely necessary? the difference between having it installed and not...is there significant difference in estimation of "time to destination"?

5. Are there any other wires to tap into?

6. Can the AVIC screen dim for nighttime use?

1. How is installation? with the exception of having to tap into the VSS wire (blue/white for 96 honda civic, found just below the TB)

Only slightly more difficult than a regular car stereo

2. What else is needed to install this headunit? is it pretty basic using just the proper harness and dash kit? I forgot about the brain....but as far as wiring the whole system together is it pretty much plug and play AFTER the VSS wire deal?

Yes, you may want to hook up the reverse wire too if you ever plan on adding a back-up camera

3. I was planning on buying the headunit off of eBay and was wondering if anyone has done the same and can recommend a seller on their so that i do not run into a scammer.

4. Is the VSS absolutely necessary? the difference between having it installed and not...is there significant difference in estimation of "time to destination"?

No. The times it will help you is where there is no satellite reception like downtown areas with tall buildings, tunnels, bridges, etc.

5. Are there any other wires to tap into?

Reverse if you want

6. Can the AVIC screen dim for nighttime use?

Yes. It will switch to a black backlit map when you turn on your headlights. It also has an ambient light sensor that you can adjust to be as dark or dim as you want it

1) The install for the Avic Z1 is not bad at all. Hardest part Id say is taking apart your cars dash and locating VSS. Took about 30-50mins to install mine.

2)yes an extra harness meant to convert your wires to the more familiar aftermarket standard would be the only thing you need.

3) I bought on of the units off of ebay. I do not recall the seller, but make sure they take Paypal. The ones that take paypal are legit. Also, do not believe that pioneer will offer you a warranty for 1 year. This is simply not true, as you are not buying it off of an authorized seller.

4)No the VSS is not necessary. My navigation didnt really improve with the VSS attached. Z1 is pretty bad at navigation compared to my garmin. You will however lose features of your Z1, such as going beyond simple hybrid mode.

5) If you do the hack, there are no other wires to hack into besides the VSS. Other than the ones found on yor harness

6) Yes, the unit will dim when you turn your lights on, assuming you attached the illumination wire.

ALl this info is for the Z1. Not sure what unit you wanted to buy.

This forum will help you out a bunch on your questions. There are quite a few knowledgable people on here that totally know what they are talking about, and I would trust their answers. I'm fairly new but I can answer a few of your questions...

Also note that there are quite a few different AVIC's with completely different features, make sure you know the EXACT model you want to work with before you ask specific questions on it...

1. Installation can be smooth, but that depends on what you plan on doing with your unit... There is a few bypass methods you can use to override the parking brake safety issue( You can't use certain functions unless the e-brake is on), and those require a little bit more than the "plug and play" you were referring to. But if you play it by the books and the laws you won't need to worry about it.. Again, you need to know what AVIC you will be buying and the manufactured date on it to get the info you need on that process...

2. You won't need much to install it if you have the proper dash kit and wire harnesses (usually included)

3. Although e-bay is good for quite a few things, I wouldn't reccomend it AT ALL for buying this unit, or any other "high-demand, low supply" item.

I'm saying this from experience, I sell hardware and power tools on e-bay for a living (Hardware_Sales_Inc , and my newest BBLumberandHardware) and I understand that market very well.. HOWEVER, if you are planning on buying an N series or even an S series there are a few trustworthy sources on e-bay, but as far as the Z series goes I would watch it, and I wouldn't reccommend buying on e-bay. The Z series is very hard to find and be prepared to pay around $1,600-2,000.

If you find a Z series for sale for anything under that, I'd make sure you could find some solid info on that seller because chances are it's a bait and switch or just an outright scam. There are a few people who have scored there's for cheaper than that, but thats pretty rare, especially now-a-days. right now the Z2 is being released in April so suppy of the Z1 is pretty low, therefore the price is high...

4. Yes, the VSS wire will improve your accuracy as well as provide you with some pretty cool performance features... I wouldn't reccomend skipping that step....

I hope this info helps, and I'm sure all the other baddasses on this Forum will provide you with some answers as well (and their answers are much better than mine) . All in all just be careful from where you buy and don't penny pinch on this type of thing because it will do you more harm than good. The Z series is "top-of-the-line" and is priced accordingly...YES there is cheaper NAV units, and YES there are cheaper sellers, but all you will be getting from those are LESS!!!

Very easy car to work on. Lets see if I can do this from memory.

Dash Kit 99-7891

Harness 70-1720

Tools

Stubby Philips Screwdriver

Regular Philips Screwdriver

8mm Socket and ratchet

Removing Stock Radio

The driver's side under dash panel is the first one to remove. 1 screw above change holder. 1 screw in the lower left corner. 1 last screw in the lower right corner. Once those are out, the panel snaps right out. Disconnect the plugs and remove.

Next up open the glove box and push the sides of it into each other to get it to drop down.

Now for the center piece below the radio. There's 2 screws above the cigarette plug. 2 more on each side of that panel one high and one low.

Once those are out you can fanagle the panel out unplug the cig lighter socket, now for the final step. If you look at the underside of the radio that is now exposed you will see 2 silver screws. Those need to come out to slide the radio out. The trick is if you use a regular screwdriver odds are pretty good they'll strip so grab an 8mm socket and ratchet and take them out with that.

Slider radio out and get to work.

By the way does your car have the factory keyless entry still?

ummm you know i have no idea about the keyless entry, i just know when i picked the car up it had a remote start, and i can unlock and lock the car with the remote as well....but i think stock you needed a key to unlock it physically.

thanks for the info btw, i was looking last night just trying to get familiar with the car a little more under the dash and i was wondering how the heck to pull the glove box out. Decided to get the N3 and am going to add the rear view camera as well.