AVIC411.com

Is Pioneer Innovation Going to Fall Behind?

The features of our high end Pioneer head units seem to be more and more commonplace in manufacturer navigation units. Some features seem to be done better by the OEMs already!

Is Pioneer going to be able to pick up the pace with innovation before the OEMs catch up entirely and pass them? Personally, I am worried for them.

In the past, I have pulled out pricey OEM nav units in to install the Pioneer. In my latest vehile, I have shelled out the extra cash for the factory nav and will not be considering Pioneer's latest and greatest as it just doesn't seem to have the edge.

Any thoughts on Pioneer's future?

I would say yes. And honestly, you likely wont see any real innovation in this entire industry from here on out. Now, if Apple got into this game and even a slightly lesser extent, Google with Android, it would be over. Companies like Pioneer and Kenwood would be scrambling overnight to catch up and would certainly fail.

It's going to be interesting in the next 3-4 years... Apple will partner with one of the top companies in a market segment to produce a limited product and then steal their technology and build there own product. Motorola ROKR is a perfect example where Apple partnered then limited the phone to 100 songs and usb 1 transfer.

The app radio with Pioneer looks to be that partnership so we'll see if Apple launches into the auto market.

It's going to be interesting in the next 3-4 years... Apple will partner with one of the top companies in a market segment to produce a limited product and then steal their technology and build there own product. Motorola ROKR is a perfect example where Apple partnered then limited the phone to 100 songs and usb 1 transfer.

The app radio with Pioneer looks to be that partnership so we'll see if Apple launches into the auto market.

Good possibility. Look at iOS6. They dumped Google Maps and utlized Tom Tom for nav and some other company for 3D map rendering to create their own map app. Can't see why they wouldn't push that into a head unit at some point. Who know for sure but I think the idea of head units as we know it now is going to be gone. VBLUE42 has already converted his iPad into a full functional head unit that blows away anything on the market today. I think in time, that idea will become more mainstream for sure. Gives you more flexibility then any off the shelf head unit can give you but it needs to be more streamlined in some way to fit into dashboards without too much customization (for example). Time will tell.

And if the rumor of a 7" iPad in October turns out to be true you can bet that more people will be going this route.

i actually thought of that yesterday after I sent the message. Being that will match the size of most current head units, I think it will really fly then! However, there are 7" Android tablets available now but not sure of too many people trying to do what you did with that platform. I'm sure it's possible and should be looked into especially since Google Maps currently has decent navigation. I have a Motorola Xoom but it's way too big and heavy to do a dashboard mount, but I'd like to see if all this is possible with the Android platform too.

• 5 weeks later...

Im actually pretty upset that my NEW (2years old) z130 can't tell me what song is playing all of the time and only shows like 20 caracters when it does but my 2004 Volvo tractor can and it scrolls and it doesn't show my presets that have been stored but my factory ford radio did. I totally don't understand them having the technology that is available but yet fail to use it. I'm really upset that pioneer doesn't care and I'm actually looking into selling this and getting something new or mounting my iPad in my truck.

• 1 month later...