AVIC411.com

Question about x930bt microphone replacement

The mic my radio came with sounds hollow and staticy according to people I call. I have moved the microphone around to different locations and checked to make sure it was making good contact, nothing seemed to help. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a good mic replacement for the unit.

Thanks for your time

Steve

Mine is just above the rear view mirror. My wife told me this evening that it sounded like a "cube speaker phone". I've considered moving it but I don't know where I would put it. The steering column on my MB doesn't lend itself to snaking wires - they seemed to have tried to cover every gap; I guess that's part of what I paid for.

I tried mine on the steering column, then on the dash in centre then on dash in corner and all 3 places I ended up with sound that was scratchy and a bit noisy.

Finally I moved it into my overhead console and wrapped it in foam and it now sounds great. Unsure if it's so much better because of location (in overhead console) or because of the foam wrapping.

I figure there must be something to location as every car with bluetooth has the mike in the headliner :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have my setup on an 05 Xterra SE (RF premium audio - before) and I noticed that static/scratchy issue upon install. I decided to add some 2-more grounding points from the HU itself to the body and I think it solved that issue.

BTW, I had the mic mounted inside the inst. cluster shroud upside down (upper left if you're looking at it) I then give a super clear audio on the other line. I believe if the unit is getting enough/proper grounding your golden - at least I fixed my issue by adding more grounding. Try it!

Also check your mic wire/cable if it's really IN there at the back of the HU. Too much bending puts stress on the leads inside it and "could" affect the integrity of the audio it's transmitting and check if you got some "bare-ness" or cuts on the mic wire, it's where unwanted RF tend to interfere (IMHO).