AVIC411.com

Official Android Connectivity Kit vs Workaround?

I realize the official kit is expensive but it's not so bad from Amazon. Saving a few bucks isn't bad, but I'd like everything to work properly. If I get an MHL cable from newegg or Amazon, will I be able to have Video/Apps and charging? I've read some unofficial MHL solutions, only do the video and don't charge at the same time.

Thanks

edit: Btw, I've got a Galaxy Nexus, so it would be the MHL setup, not HDMI

Just make sure you get a MHL adaptor that also has a usb connection as well as the hdmi. I bought this one for my Galaxy Nexus and it works great. I run a usb cable from the decks usb connection to the mhl cable so you don't see it, but you could also run from a usb charger.

post-65101-0-06541700-1341038146_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I'll definitely pick up one of those instead. Might try to hard-wire the USB port to a power source though, I'd like to be able to use the included iPhone cable w/ USB port (or just a straight USB extension cable) hidden and accessible someplace for easier firmware updates...

Thanks for the tip, it would drain probably it was charging in USB mode? If you wouldn't mind, would you try 'dialing' *#*#INFO#*#* (that's *#*#4636#*#*) then press send on your phone when plugged into the official Pioneer kit? Under "Battery Information" see if battery status says AC or USB? It it says AC, then on the USB cable pins 2+3 just need to be shorted to force the AC 'fast' charging mode...

When you say, 'attaches to the battery' you mean the car battery, keeping the USB port free?

Thanks for the tip, it would drain probably it was charging in USB mode? If you wouldn't mind, would you try 'dialing' *#*#INFO#*#* (that's *#*#4636#*#*) then press send on your phone when plugged into the official Pioneer kit? Under "Battery Information" see if battery status says AC or USB? It it says AC, then on the USB cable pins 2+3 just need to be shorted to force the AC 'fast' charging mode...

Do you mean pins 2&3 on the mini USB or the 'regular'-sized USB cable going into the adapter box?

The problem lies is that the phone must see the two data pins of the USB connector shorted together to recognize a charger as a high capacity (1A) charger. The MHL adapter is using the data pins for it's output so there is no way for the phone to identify a high capacity charger is connected to it. The phone itself regulates the charge at .5amp, if you try to manipulate the cable you defeat the mhl.

However that being said it might be possible for the os to be tricked to take a 1amp charge whenever it can. Got to spend some time on XDA doing some research.

Hmm, I wonder if the default CM9 kernel will allow it, I haven't switched over to CM9 yet (from stock rooted) but will once the first 'stable release' gets official (and then follow up with the nightlies)...

Yeah, when I posted that I hadn't thought about it at all, but since then I've read just as you said, it doesn't work since MHL needs the data pins...

• 2 weeks later...