AVIC411.com

this is a technical question!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH Y Z-1. I HAD CIRCUIT CITY INSTALL MY Z1 AND A OVERHEAD DVD PLAYER WITH PLAYSTAION 2 .

THE OVERHEAD IS A 9' DIRECTED DVD PLAYER WITH 2 WIRELESS HEADPHONES AND I BUILT IN FM TRANSMITTER. MY PROBLEM IS I CAN NOT GET THE FM TRANSMITTER TO WORK. IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO HOOK IT UP TO THE Z1 OR SHOULD IT AUTOMATICALLY CONNECT TO THE Z1.THE PEOPLE AT CC DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT . SO I AM RESEARCHING IT AND I AM GOING TO BRING IT BACK TO THEM.

I'M SURE ONE OF THE EXPERTS IN THE FORUM HAS THE ANSWER. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.. :lol:

MARK

MASSACHUSETTS

mark, seems your caps are broken, try fixing that with an edit then someone might respond, no need to yell.

p.s. need a bit more info about the fm transmitter. but if its the one in the overhead, then you simply turn it on, and the line for the fm transmitter needs to be extended towards the avic unit. It would be better to just run a pair of rcas to the avic unit and plug into the a/v port

First... STOP SHOUTING!

Second.... It depends on if it truly is a FM transmitter or just a FM Modulator.

Both are FM Modulators.... that's what turns the audio you want to hear into a FM signal. But if there is no transmitter stage after that, then you need to wire it directly into the FM antenna on the radio before the radio can tune it in. Just about every "add on" cd changer in the last 10 years has used this technology and I would think that any installer understands how this is to be wired.

If there is a transmitter, that means there is a modulator and then a transmitter which broadcasts the signal over the air. Then once you set the frequency any FM radio in a 10-30 foot radius should be able to pick it up just by tuning into that frequency.

One would think the instructions that came with the monitor would be able to tell them how to install it.

The thing that's getting me is the troubleshooting technique or lack of that CC is doing with this.

1. RTFM, set the frequency or find out which one it uses

2. If it's a transmitter,

2a. turn it on and see if the Z1 can hear the sound

2b. tune to a local station to see if the Z1 can lock on to that.

2c. put another FM radio next to the vehicle and see if that can hear it.

3. if it's not a transmitter, check the connections for the modulator (antenna wire into back of Z1).

Some say the FM performance on the Z1 is less than other radios, but it should be able to pick up either with no trouble.

If none of these work, I would start thinking you have a bad part, but you need (or they need) to employ some simple trouble shooting to figure out which part is causing the problem.

Without knowing the exact make and model of monitor, we can't look up the manual for it.

lol .. i am not yelling . is this better .. tillithz someone told me you may have a sirrius adapter for sale . is this true . if so how much?

i am not yelling just lazy ... :lol::lol:

sorry for the caps ............................................................................................

ty ty,

the overhead should have rca out though, sound quality would be better then fm any day. try that as well, or try what ducatiboy said cuz thats the technical side of it that is very accurate.

I do have a sirius... thinking $75 shipped. to u.s. addy

You are better off all lower case then all upper case.

And tillithz is right, you are better off using RCA outs into the RCA ins on the back of the Z1 than the FM whatever anyway.

But some "lazy" installers will take power and ground (sometimes off the headliner light) and that's it and not bother running audio wires. If they ran power and ground and didn't run audio at the same time, that's pretty bad. Bad installer, no dough nut. :)

thanks ducatiboy . it is a fm transmitter built into the dvd player . i also had a power amplified aentena installed . on the overhead itself i am able to access the transmitter it even allows me to change the frequency. that is why i can not figure it out. i think circuit city just wants to get rid of me . they took 4 days to install my z-1 and then they forgot to connect the gps antena so i had to go back. then the camera would not work when i put veh in reverse. i went there 6 times . this site has helped me so much i printed up posts and made them fix all the problems this is my last one .. what a mistake going to circuit city....i will try all your suggestions .. you should charge money for your support .

thanks again

the likelyhood that the fm transmitter on the overhead is poor is high. I have installed units like that to find some work and some dont in the very same car with the very same equipment. there is actually a much better fm modulator out there. its made by myron and davis. I have a few left here and can let them go for $30 includes shipping in the u.s. but keep in mind running rca is better sound quality.

that is what i am going to do is make them run rca to the z1.. he was trying to tell me if he hooks it up to the z1 i have to watch what my kids are watching all the time.. i think he does not want to drop the headliner. but guess what he is going to do it now..

tillithz is it used or new?? and are use a paypal member??

ps thanks again for all your help guys. and sorry about the caps i had no idea that it meant i was yelling.......

well you dont have to typically drop the head liner, you can run it from the overhead straight to the side and then along the side downward towards the kick panel and then up towards the dash. typically. and honestly they should have done that anyways, for the power of the unit. I sure hope they didnt just tap into the dome light or something for the power.

yes I use paypal. its used for 5 months maybe. and deactivated about a month ago. I no longer travel the distance I use to to need it. I find I dont like sat. sound anyways.

The directed overhead doesn't require you to drop it to add a hard wired modulator. It has a separate "brain" with the audio ouput. As for the built in modulator. It does tend to suck a lot especially when the installer, I can the person that loosely, doesn't plug the extender antenna in to help with the reception. I've done dozens of those things. The built in mod is normally pretty good about getting decent quality transmisson. On a final note I doubt they forgot to hook up reverse, more than likely someone was feeling lazy.