AVIC411.com

Z1 In Cold Climates

I'm researching Nav units that I intend to purchase. The Z1 is at the top of my list right now. I live in Canada and the temps here frequently reach -30C (-22F) and was wondering how or if this would negatively affect the Z1? I have used the search function on the forum and have found a few refences to temperature related issues, but the ones I found appeared to be more defected units or installations. I'm looking more for issues that might be expected from normally functioning units.

Thanks

If the z1 is too cold/hot. The drive will not boot which means you will not have access to the navi or any songs on the drive. This is until the temp of the avic gets high enough to allow the drive to boot. The other issue is when the lcd screen is cold, the display will change very slowly and may be very dim.

Thaks for the replies. I expected the LCD to react that way. With the hardrive, does the circuitry stop the hardrive from spinning untill it reaches a safe temp, or is the drive trying to start but can't because it is to cold.

Action, what was the coldest so far, and how long did it take to respond normally?

I live in northern Ky. in the US, and I've never noticed any difference in the boot times or behavior when it was near 0 degrees F other than the screen possibly seeming a little dim for a couple minutes. It hasn't dropped below zero this year yet, but its supposed to get close the next few days. I'll watch my Z1 and see how it responds.

On the other end of the spectrum, I was in Houston last summer when it was 105 +, and the Z1 worked fine then too.

It's been cold here lately, so I had a chance to check it out. I have noticed that the screen does not get as bright when it's cold (thank god for remote start). So, turning the lights on and off makes little difference (unless you are in map mode, duh!). However, all functions seem to work ok, and the screen works normally once the cabin temperature becomes sane.

Well, I live here in Kansas and we get both temp extremes. Look in the owners manual, it will tell you that the unit will operate only in a range of temps. Mine refuses to boot up past the Pioneer splash screen if it is too hot or too cold, Sometimes multiple jabs on the reset button will fix it but generally it will not work if it does't want too. That is the biggest liability with the Z-1, it is a very twitchy machine when it comes to temps