AVIC411.com

MKIV Golf - No handbrake signal?

Hey there guys, I just got an AppRadio 2 and got it installed by a professional since I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes down to these things. So I decided to seek out some AppRadio 2 forums and found this one after finding out about AppRadio Extensions.

Now I'll try to explain my dilemma as best as I can.

The installer got everything working just fine, until he told me I wouldn't be able to 'play videos' because my specific model of car apparently doesn't send the signal that the handbrake is on/off. I figured okay, it's just video. Little did I know I wouldn't be able to run apps (the whole point of the head unit) because of this, even if I install AppRadio Extensions (since I can't get past the screen about applying the brake etc).

It is a VW 2000 MKIV Golf. I hope to learn heaps from these forums :-)

Lemme know if you need any more details.

I'm actually useless and don't understand many of the terms, but what I have gathered is that I need a switch. Or a grounding switch? Something like that. Thanks though!!

that is one way to do it, get a simple 2 prong switch of your choice, connect the ebrake wire to one of the prongs then connect the other prong to any ground source and that switch will work as your ebrake to send the signal to the stereo. the more technical way would be to program and install a pac tr7 which sounds like you wont be able to, there is also some micro-bypass little device that would work but i havent looked into that (more info in the bypass thread near the end)

that is one way to do it, get a simple 2 prong switch of your choice, connect the ebrake wire to one of the prongs then connect the other prong to any ground source and that switch will work as your ebrake to send the signal to the stereo. the more technical way would be to program and install a pac tr7 which sounds like you wont be able to, there is also some micro-bypass little device that would work but i havent looked into that (more info in the bypass thread near the end)

Wow, thanks a bunch man. That actually clears up a lot for me. I think I'll probably be going with the switch, since I don't think a) the pac way would work and B) i wouldn't be able to install it since I'm newb haha. :D

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: so I got bought a switch and opened up/removed the glovebox so I can see where the wiring is.

It is to my understanding that I need to connect the ground (black) and the handbrake signal (green). Is this correct?

When I opened removed my glovebox, there were a lot of grouped cables and a green one connected to some kind of bolt. If anyone's got any idea what this is, I'd love to know lol...

Update: so I got bought a switch and opened up/removed the glovebox so I can see where the wiring is.

It is to my understanding that I need to connect the ground (black) and the handbrake signal (green). Is this correct?

When I opened removed my glovebox, there were a lot of grouped cables and a green one connected to some kind of bolt. If anyone's got any idea what this is, I'd love to know lol...

the green parking brake wire may have been grounded by the installer thinking that would be enough to bypass the signal, but this unit requires a double pulse so that wont work. unbolt it and attach it to the switch, then take a new wire and attach it from the switch to that bolt (or any metal ground really) and it will work when you flip the switch on-off-on