AVIC411.com

Lost features upgrading from X930BT to X940BT Firmware

I figured I'd post this here in case anyone is considering performing this upgrade.. I'll update this post if I find anything else.

Some of this is documented in the firmware update's documentation anyway..

If you upgrade your X920BT to the X940BT firmware, you will lose your voice control for navigation.. It'll still work for controlling your audio sources however.

I'm disappointed with the map upgrade; the US English voice navigation no longer tells me the major route names. As an example, it used to say things like:

"In one quarter of a mile, turn right onto I 495 West"

"Turn left onto the freeway entrance"

"In one half of a mile turn right onto exit 52 north"

Now it just says

"In one quarter of a mile, turn right onto the side road"

"Turn left"

"In one half of a mile turn right"

It's nothing huge but it is disappointing since it feels like a downgrade rather than an upgrade. I was hoping (but not holding my breath) that it would show more street names. My Avic N3 showed 95% of the street names, the X920BT seems to only show about 60% of them which is very annoying.. As I stated a few years ago, what's the point of having a GPS device which doesn't tell you what the street names are? It's so stupid.. you should at least be able to zoom in all the way and see them.. but you can't.. I'd pay the $120 to repair my Avic N3 just to have its maps back if the iPod controls weren't so sucky on it.

-Keith

My X9310BT started out only saying "Turn left" instead of "Turn left on 100 Street". I'm pretty sure you have to go into the options somewhere and find the voice, and change it from the pre-recorded "English" voice to the "English Samantha Text-To-Speech" voice to get the synthesized one that can pronounce street names.

My X9310BT started out only saying "Turn left" instead of "Turn left on 100 Street". I'm pretty sure you have to go into the options somewhere and find the voice, and change it from the pre-recorded "English" voice to the "English Samantha Text-To-Speech" voice to get the synthesized one that can pronounce street names.

No, I never used the text to speech voice. My regular US English voice would announce major route names.. it never did street names like the TTS does.

I'm still confused. If I ever get the upgrade, I'll find out for myself.

There are two types of voices the unit responds with... the text to speech voice which sounds robotic but announces every street name, and the pre-recorded human voice which is limited in what it can say. The human voice consists of recored words such as:

In, Quarter, Half, One, Feet, Mile, One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Hundred, Freeway, Right, Left, Entrance, Onto, The, Keep, North, South, East, West, Exit, I, Route

Using those pre-recorded words, it would make phrases like "In Three Hundred Feet Turn Left Onto I Four Ninety Five South", or "In One Quarter Of A Mile Turn Right At Exit Thirty Five"

Now it seems its vocabulary has shrunk and no longer announces route numbers or exit numbers. Instead of "In one quarter of a mile turn right onto I 95 South", it just says "In one quarter of a mile turn right"

If I enable the English text to speech voice, of course it'll announce all of these things again (and more) but it'll sound like that robotic TTS voice rather than the human voice.

Got it?

-Keith

This is weird, I upgraded my 920 to the 940 firmware about 6 months ago, and I just took an 800 mile round trip the other day and mine didnt seem to do that. It still said all the info that it did before.

I noticed on one of my trips it did announce an exit number, but it isn't announcing most of them and isn't telling me the route names any longer. Did you use the Z140 firmware package that I did? Or the legit upgrade from pioneer? I wasn't aware the 940 upgrade was even available 6 months ago?

Def. good information and a nice summary, thanks for posting it. I imagine this might become a sticky if we find more lost features.

Can you possibly summarize the gained features when going from the 930 to 940? I still haven't seen it concisely written somewhere from someone who has done the upgrade.

Cheers

• 4 months later...