AVIC411.com

Did I Brick My Z140BH?

I was trying to install Condi's Testmode version 2.2.1 on my Z140BH (version 4.0)

1. I extracted the files to my sdcard (version 2.2.1)

2. Inserted it into my Z140BH

3. It rebooted and installed the files

4. It rebooted again and then gave me the message "There is no applicable program"

I have no backup since I never got into testmode to backup my user data.

I woul really appreciat any help on this. I have no idea what to do next.

Thanks!!

Yes, I'm able to boot into testmode but that's about it. When I remove the sdcard, it reboots and I get the message "There is no applicable program".

Could I have a corrupt file on the Z140?

I searched the forum and copied the RenewalIFLib.dll and CARDINFO.cif files but stll no go. Is there someplace to go to get the complete system files?

Thanks...really appreciate the help.

• 4 months later...

It looks like you've got posts in three threads about this problem, That will make it harder for the next guy to figure out a solution.

Without a detailed list of exactly what you did, in order, it is pretty hard to figure out how to fix it. Reboot loops can be caused by corrupted software/files. I think Roscoe is saying to copy the PRG folder (from the  CNSD-310FM upgrade) over the appropriate (PRG0 or PRG1) folder in the headunit. That presumes the you have successfully installed CNSD-310FM. This might work, depending on the state of your unit. But I always recommend the simplest thing first when odd things happen, a hard reset by disconnecting your car battery. That has fixed many issues.

I'm still not clear what you have done, and whether you have any backup files.  Condi's Hackmode installation has trashed many headunits, and frankly - I'm getting tired of helping repair the disasters it causes. Often, in the ensuing panic, the user just makes things worse. The first thing you should do when you have a problem is make a full backup of USER using testmode. If you still haven't done that, do it now. Buy a 4-8GB SD and keep it until you get everything working.

I wish HackMode instructions could be removed from this site, or at least a notice posted clearly stating "Install at your own risk.".   Ironically, 99% of us have no real practical use for HackMode and inadvertently install it trying to use TestMode.  Note: Besides installation issues, the nicer user interface of HackMode just makes it easier to someone to trash their unit. Whereas Testmode is so arcane that it is actually harder to do something stupid or dangerous by accident.  

I have a few other ideas, but without knowing exactly what you did or didn't do, it would be a waste of time and confusing to just throw them out here.

Ron, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I think I may have deleted or corrupted a file while navigating through the test mode. I have a back up of User but only after I installed the Hackmode. I have an older version but I can not find the thumb drive. The unit does boot and if I am quick enough I can get the update to run to completion but it still loop reboots after the upgrade. It boots briefly into the nav screen and if I am quick enough I can get the radio turned on and it plays fine but reboots about every 15 secs or so. I am sure that I am missing a file somewhere but just do not know what to look for.

BTW, I have copied the PRG file from the CNSD-310FM upgrade file and pasted it in both prg0 and prg1 and that does get me past the "no aplication" thing but I may have wrecked something in a file somewhere else. I will try the hard reset by disconnecting the battery this am but this is not an easy task.

I do take full responsibility for whatever dammage I have done with my hotdog fingers but I would rather fix it than pay someone else to.

But hey......no risk...no fun right?

UPDATE: Removed battery cables on both bateries in the truck, waited about 30 mins, VIOLA! all is working as normal.

No more reboot, no more Nag Screen, no more idling my truck for hours!!!

This
is a prime example of not following the directions to a tee. I probably
could have fixed this within hours had I just disconected the battery
after getting the reboot loop. I have to say that I am alot more
familiar with the test mode proceedures than before.

Someone should write up a detailed explanation of how to navigate in and out of folders within test mode.

Thanks to everyone that responded and I will post this in all three of the posts that I posted this in.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you've got posts in three threads about this problem, That will make it harder for the next guy to figure out a solution.

Without a detailed list of exactly what you did, in order, it is pretty hard to figure out how to fix it. Reboot loops can be caused by corrupted software/files. I think Roscoe is saying to copy the PRG folder (from the  CNSD-310FM upgrade) over the appropriate (PRG0 or PRG1) folder in the headunit. That presumes the you have successfully installed CNSD-310FM. This might work, depending on the state of your unit. But I always recommend the simplest thing first when odd things happen, a hard reset by disconnecting your car battery. That has fixed many issues.

I'm still not clear what you have done, and whether you have any backup files.  Condi's Hackmode installation has trashed many headunits, and frankly - I'm getting tired of helping repair the disasters it causes. Often, in the ensuing panic, the user just makes things worse. The first thing you should do when you have a problem is make a full backup of USER using testmode. If you still haven't done that, do it now. Buy a 4-8GB SD and keep it until you get everything working.

I wish HackMode instructions could be removed from this site, or at least a notice posted clearly stating "Install at your own risk.".   Ironically, 99% of us have no real practical use for HackMode and inadvertently install it trying to use TestMode.  Note: Besides installation issues, the nicer user interface of HackMode just makes it easier to someone to trash their unit. Whereas Testmode is so arcane that it is actually harder to do something stupid or dangerous by accident.  

I have a few other ideas, but without knowing exactly what you did or didn't do, it would be a waste of time and confusing to just throw them out here.

So I am one of those people that has found this thread only too late. My problem: A bricked Z130BT.

It started with me installing the Auto-Install version of Hackmode. Immediately ran into a boot loop where my unit would run through a complete install then reboot and start installing again. Took out the SD Card and I would just get errors. So I went with Test Mode and screwed up something along the way. I'm pretty sure I deleted Av.exe, did not backup USER, and then was unable to paste into the CONDIHACK directory into the PRG0/APL directory. The manager wouldn't let me paste.

Right now I get a screen that says: "Program Start up error." And there's a small "6" in the bottom right corner. I've tried your suggested steps: I disconnected the battery for a while, nothing changed. I ran Test Mode and am able to get into it but every time I enter the File Manager, it kicks me back to the home screen after only a few seconds. 

Any advice (like from RonS:)) would be greatly appreciated! I was just trying to update my bluetooth firmware, not brick my unit, obviously :? .

@cerealserial

This site is full of posts on how to recover from HackMode. I don't remember all the stuff (damage) that HackMode does. As far as I'm concerned, it's a Trojan Horse, although that wasn't Condi's intention. The problem is that the installation script makes assumptions about the state of your files that isn't always true. In some cases it modifies PRG0, when it should modify PRG1 (or vice versa). I haven't looked at the script in a while.  I believe it renames NAV.exe to NAV1.exe or something similar. Then it installs a bunch of extra files.

The most precise recovery would be to figure out what went wrong and fix it. But that would be hard to do in a message thread, So what I'm suggesting as a fix uses a hammer, rather than a scalpel.  The simpliest thing to try 1st is just delete /USER/PRG.FLG (if present) - OR - create /USER/PRG.FLG (an empty file) if it isn't present. This just forces the unit to use the other set of PRG files. Try a reboot and see if it fixes it.

If that doesn't work, you could just install CNSD310 - upgrade to the Z140 firmware. I think that should work, even with a "broken" unit. 

Or, if you installed (and you still have the files) CNSD-210FM, you can restore PRG0 from there. I won't go into the exact steps, but in general:  

1. First, backup USER, just in case (1st rule of recovery - do no harm)
  2. Delete /USER/PRG.FLG if present.
  3. You should delete all the files in PRG0 - this gets rid of all the crap Hackmode installed.
  4. Copy all the file in USER/PRG from the CNSD-210FM SD into the headunit's /USER/PRG0.

I can't tell you the exact keypresses to accomplish the above. The testmode file manager interface is horrible and frustrating. And I haven't done this in about 6 months - so I'm not an expert.

Mods (Jason, VBlue, or someone) - can we do something about Hackmode? I'm through talking it's victims off of the ledge!!!!  It needs warnings in 24pt font - THIS CAN TRASH YOUR UNIT!!!!  It is NOT TestMode. For experts only.  Always back-up your /USER files first.

I won't suggest totally removing it, since some find it a useful tool (or toy), but it has snared too many unsuspecting victims.

BTW, IMO this whole thread is in the wrong place. Should be in the Mods/Hacks sub-forum.

OK!

@cerealserial

This site is full of posts on how to recover from HackMode. I don't remember all the stuff (damage) that HackMode does. As far as I'm concerned, it's a Trojan Horse, although that wasn't Condi's intention. The problem is that the installation script makes assumptions about the state of your files that isn't always true. In some cases it modifies PRG0, when it should modify PRG1 (or vice versa). I haven't looked at the script in a while.  I believe it renames NAV.exe to NAV1.exe or something similar. Then it installs a bunch of extra files.

The most precise recovery would be to figure out what went wrong and fix it. But that would be hard to do in a message thread, So what I'm suggesting as a fix uses a hammer, rather than a scalpel.  The simpliest thing to try 1st is just delete /USER/PRG.FLG (if present) - OR - create /USER/PRG.FLG (an empty file) if it isn't present. This just forces the unit to use the other set of PRG files. Try a reboot and see if it fixes it.

OK! I tried this but to no avail. I am able to copy an empty PRG.FLG file that I created on my SD Card but am unable to paste it into the USER directory. The option is greyed out when I get to the USER directory. Either I'm not understanding how to put new files into a directory here or something's wrong with the unit.  

If that doesn't work, you could just install CNSD310 - upgrade to the Z140 firmware. I think that should work, even with a "broken" unit. 

Tried this as well. I can install the "RenewalIFLib-AUTO-REPLACER v1.1" script and I get the confirmation that it worked, although the unit still doesn't reboot properly (it does the same "Program Start Up Error" with the 6 in the corner). And then when I install the Z140 Files (CARDINFO.CIF, FIRMWARE and UPDATE with the modified VERINFO.DAT), I get nothing. Just the same "Program Start Up Error." I tried using the other CARDINFO.CIF but that didn't change anything.

I haven't yet tried installing CNSD-210FM. Is that what you recommend as the next step?

Seriously, you are saving me a million headaches and certainly a lot of money by helping me, RonS!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!! 

Thank you again!!!

Or, if you installed (and you still have the files) CNSD-210FM, you can restore PRG0 from there. I won't go into the exact steps, but in general:  

1. First, backup USER, just in case (1st rule of recovery - do no harm)
  2. Delete /USER/PRG.FLG if present.
  3. You should delete all the files in PRG0 - this gets rid of all the crap Hackmode installed.
  4. Copy all the file in USER/PRG from the CNSD-210FM SD into the headunit's /USER/PRG0.

I can't tell you the exact keypresses to accomplish the above. The testmode file manager interface is horrible and frustrating. And I haven't done this in about 6 months - so I'm not an expert.

OK!

OK! I tried this but to no avail. I am able to copy an empty PRG.FLG file that I created on my SD Card but am unable to paste it into the USER directory. The option is greyed out when I get to the USER directory. Either I'm not understanding how to put new files into a directory here or something's wrong with the unit.  

Tried this as well. I can install the "RenewalIFLib-AUTO-REPLACER v1.1" script and I get the confirmation that it worked, although the unit still doesn't reboot properly (it does the same "Program Start Up Error" with the 6 in the corner). And then when I install the Z140 Files (CARDINFO.CIF, FIRMWARE and UPDATE with the modified VERINFO.DAT), I get nothing. Just the same "Program Start Up Error." I tried using the other CARDINFO.CIF but that didn't change anything.

I haven't yet tried installing CNSD-210FM. Is that what you recommend as the next step?

Seriously, you are saving me a million headaches and certainly a lot of money by helping me, RonS!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!! 

Thank you again!!!

I received that same program start up error (with the 6 in the bottom corner), and I never ran testmode OR hackmode.  It ended up going to Pioneer for a new board.  Not sure if this will help.......

OK!

Thank you again!!!

Had you already installed CNSD-210FM or was it a "real" Z130? Just wondering. Also  I can't tell if the CNSD310-FM upgrade was successful, so I'm not sure if you can go back to CNDS210 files.  Your headaches are far from over.

Sounds like you haven't mastered TestMode file copy/paste. Did you see the video?

Ignore his comments about HackMode. What he's using is TestMode.