AVIC411.com

Just bought avic-x940bt, excited for install. Anything I should know beforehand?

Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this site before I purchased this unit. It seems as though there are some negative things about it that I read on the amazon.com reviews. But since being here it seems as though you guys seem to really like this HU. Well, I would like to know if there is anything I need to know before I start installing it this weekend. It seems as though I am getting conflicting thoughts on what to update and what not to. I would like to bypass the parking brake and I think I can handle that. I would like to apply the caution nag hack, too. Should I see if there is an firmware update before doing any of these hacks/mods? Should I even try to update the firmware?

I apologize if these have been posted elsewhere. But like I said I seem to think I am reading different things from different users and I am not quite sure how best to proceed. Thanks in advance and this forum RAWKS!

The hack, updates etc you can do after the install. Beforehand I would concentrate on the connections, make sure you have all the adaptors for the steering wheel buttons, aerial etc as required. Also get a reverse camera, they're great - you will need to wire this to the head unit and run the cables back but can connect it up at a later date. It's a great unit (I have one in both cars), everyone has their own opinion though.

Make sure you put the GPS aerial in a good spot, mine was mounted too low in the dash so kept getting GPS errors. Fine now after I moving it.

• 3 weeks later...

My GPS antenna is mounted on the center of the dash. On my car, there is a steel "mesh" vent that the magnet works fine on. Obviously you can see it (the antenna is black and the dash is gray) but I don't consider it obtrusive at all. Occasionally, it takes a few minutes to get all the satellites it needs, but it locks on within a mile from when I drive off.

I considered the bypass but so far I'm not sorry I haven't done it. Without the bypass, you can't change display settings, type in anything (nav address or phone number), etc. without setting the parking brake. You can, however, choose a location (POI or previously entered location) or a phone number from your contact list when you are driving. It's pretty small inconvenience to me.

I don't have a lot of experience with units like this but I'm not as disappointed as some people seem to be. Some like to complain about the nav - I'm happy with it. IMHO, overall, it's pretty much on par with a Garmin. Some things are better; some not as good. I don't find the interface to be as bad as some say. The only thing I am disappointed about is that I can't call out from the screen where you play music or radio. You have to go to the map or the home screen. A minor annoyance for me. Other than that, the interface makes sense to me. Maybe some are better... I'd bet some are worse.