AVIC411.com

Possible to use an older iPod but only as a HD?

Hello all, I just got a new x940bt installed today and I must say.... I love it.

Anyhow, as I don't really have any use for an iPod (I've got several Zunes and Android phones laying around), I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get the head unit to see an old iPod that I had sitting in a box doing nothing more than collecting dust.

I've formatted it as Fat 32, plugged it into the USB cable since it's too old to use the iPod interface on the stereo anyhow and I constantly get the "Authorization failure. iPod is not connected" message.

Would anybody happen to know if there is a different way that I might format the iPod so the x940bt will stop seeing it as an iPod automatically? I thought wiping it and formatting would do the trick along with putting it in disc mode. It still knows it's an ipod. I don't really care if it will never work as an iPod again. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Edit: From a couple days of looking around the net, it seems to be the stereo automatically recognizes that the drive is an iPod because of the Vendor ID and USB ID embedded in the unit's firmware, so even putting it in disk mode won't work to make the unit think it's a dumb hard drive. Oh well..... went and bought a 32gb USB flash drive and it works fine. I guess to trick the Piioneer to into seeing the iPod as a HD, I would need to use a custom firmware (IE: Rockbox, etc.) where somebody changed the ID strings on it. Something that appears a bit over my head for the time being.