AVIC411.com

DIY AppRadio2 and iPhone 5 and Apple TV

So, do you have an AppRadio 2 in your car and you got an iPhone 5 and found out you now have a $350 AM FM Radio with blue tooth phone, and everything else is gone? Here's a couple of quick videos I did to make the best of a bad situation. The first one shows how to direct connect your iPhone 5 or iPad 4th gen to the head unit and get back the video you lost and still charge your phone without using the 40 pin connector. The second video takes it to the next level by integrating an Apple TV into the car and stream wirelessly to the head unit, nice, but a little more expensive and takes a bit of tech skills to setup the router and AppleTV unit. But, the resluts are pretty fun and I'll show you how and what it costs and the parts you need to make it work. This method uses AirPlay, so iPhone 4, 4S and 5 will work with this, as well as iPad 2, 3 and 4. Enjoy...

I was also looking into using an android mini pc, such as a mk808B or mk809 II, google those if you havent seen them. It seems plausible to use the hdmi input with these mini pcs, then connect over bluetooth to the unit. Then use ARliberator to have touch control of the unit. I just concerened on support for ARliberator on the mini pc, and resolution output. Any Ideas?

• 3 months later...

Why would anyone go through the trouble to add the ATV to the chain when you loose the control from the touch screen of the unit. You can do everything he demos with the ATV with the phone alone plus get touch support. Doesn't make sense to me.

Why would anyone go through the trouble to add the ATV to the chain when you loose the control from the touch screen of the unit. You can do everything he demos with the ATV with the phone alone plus get touch support. Doesn't make sense to me.

VBLUE42 the reason why people will concider doing this and the main reason why i would do this is to eliminate cables all together. With a wirleless setup i will put way less strain on my phone plus i will be able to control my car multimedia from outside of the car. I have noticed that my battery life is slowly diminishing due to the stress that the hmdi cable causes. My phone gets real hot when connected and due to that my battery is getting weaker. With an appletv i will eliminate that issue. So no more rapid battery drain or heating up of phone. I can stream effortlessly without adding as much stress on my iphone 5. Obviosly there will be no navigation, touch or phone functions but i was thinking of only using the atv as backup option.

Yeah thats cool and all but for me and I think most people none of that is worth giving up the ability to control everything from the unit's screen. And I don't think having the unit connected to the unit with wires has anything to do with your battery issues. It doesn't with mine. I guess its just personal preference.