AVIC411.com

Z150BH High Pitched Noise Fix

Ok, I didn't realize how many people had this problem but I managed to get rid of it completely.

I had the high pitched noise at startup, lasted about 15 seconds or so and faded away. Every time the radio powered on, whether the vehicle was started or not. One thing I did during my troubleshooting was connect the radio directly to the battery with a speaker connected to it. It did not hum, hiss, make a high pitched noise or anything else. It was perfect. This confirmed to me that the radio itself was fine.

This drove me nuts for days. In my particular situation, I had a Metra/Axxess interface to keep Onstar/chimes/etc. The Metra interface had speaker level inputs and did NOT convert them to low level output for the factory Bose amp. I called Metra and they informed me that they no longer convert the signal because they claim most newer factory amps can accept high level inputs.

I was skeptical so I purchased a cheap Scosche level converter. Went out of the radio with the speaker wires to the Scosche and then to the Metra inputs. It removed the high pitched noise, and also removed a constant hum (like you would hear if someone had the volume turned to max with no audio playing). Radio played absolutely perfect after that. I think, at least in my case, that the factory amp was getting such a ridiculously overpowered input, it was picking up normally undetectable sounds from the radio. I'm guessing maybe the cd drive spinning up to check for a disc, maybe the case fan in the back of the unit spinning up, could've been anything. But that's how I fixed mine.

I guess it depends if you have a factory amp. Hopefully this will help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hitman: would the below LINK work for taking the buzz away?  I am planning to to use this on my mids/high amp.  I have the same high pitched noise at start up.  Sometimes it last for only 5-10 seconds and others it stay's on the entire time.. Just randomly goes away when it wants too.. I placed a new wire to the left of the "MUTE" wire and then grounded the new wire with the light green wire.. Everything works fine.. I actually have never even gotten to error message that others are having.  But the buzz drives me crazy..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4471155&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CJ_FudfHsrkCFYqZ4AodeDYAdA

System Spec's are below!

Headunit: AVIC Z150BH

Kicker KS 6x8 Mids/Highs.. 4 of them.

Subwoofers: 2 x Kicker 12" L7

Amplifier: 1500.1 Mono Class D Kicker ZXS

Amplifier: 400.4 4 channel Class DX

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible it may fix the whine in your case but I tried one of those. Unfortunately, it did not help my setup. I had to use a Scosche converter.

Try turning off all of your lights (that you can). Like the headlights, dome lights, dash lights, etc. see if the noise goes away. Then turn them back on, see if it comes back.

I found out my noise issue was coming from the dome lights and head lights.

• 1 month later...

I have this same issue on my new z150, and was not a problem with my z1, any help with this yet. I'm running a zappco 5 channel amp, and can be heard at zero volume or when using phone. Sounds like a hiss with a high pitch wine noise, any volume and the noise is gone. Thought it was a bad cable.

• 3 weeks later...