AVIC411.com

on-screen user interface GUI

Has Pioneer, or anyone else, created and released an ALTERNATIVE GUI for the Pioneer X920 series headunit?

I nearly crashed the other day fumbling for the MICROSCOPIC "answer phone" icon that appears on-screen when the phone rings.

The whole point of hands-free concept is safety, yes?  So why did Pioneer think it was groovy to make a GUI interface that better resembled an iPhone.  Sure, if I was standing on a street corner, it would be great to fling the screens with my thumb and watch as my screen mimics a slot-machine interface.

BUT IT'S COMPLETELY USELESS AT 70MPH! (or many more kmh)

Anyone?  Am I completely alone in this thinking?

At the very least, the phone icon that appears on screen to either answer or hang-up should be at least 1 1/2 inches in screen size, so we don't crash the freakin' car trying to find it.

I would pay for an alternative set of screens, especially the totally stupid artist/album selection.  Stationary, BIG characters - not some rolling nonsense that is better suited for an iPod.

rant out.

• 1 month later...

Well, though I have nothing to add or help with, you're not alone.  The interface blows.  My 10yr old can use it a little better than me but not much.  Fingertips only get so small.  Seems like they want you to crash or poke the crap out of it in frustration until u break it.

(If a month classifies as necroposting than I guess i'm guilty, but hey, I'm trying to participate so maybe don't flame me for it)

whew...I thought my insanity was solitary. Kenwood has it much closer....two big rows of letters show up (26 for the alphabet), pick one...go to that letter, and keep drilling down.

scrolling is great for the living room sofa, or for a passenger, but not a driver. at least offer two GUI's to choose between: groovy, or smart

• 2 weeks later...

Being myself a software developer for Windows, I often wish I could redo the GUI for my x930bt.  I'd change many things.  But even if I could, I'd need to find out how to access the radio frequencies, the GPS component, the USB port, the illumination settings, etc.  Too many hardware to control.